Thread: Power Tool maintenance products

Power Tool maintenance products

Ok I hope this question is OK in this forum. Need to find a better lubricant for a few power tools such as the tablesaw gears and also my Performax drum sander height adjusting plate and screw handle bolt threads. It has to be a product that does not attract dust because both are huge dust emitters. I have used the white lithium dry grease but that has caked up over time and is a mess to clean. So my question what are all you woodworkers using on those gears and moving parts on your power woodworking tools?? Thanks in advance.
    John T.

Quote Originally Posted by John Terefenko View Post
    Ok I hope this question is OK in this forum. Need to find a better lubricant for a few power tools such as the tablesaw gears and also my Performax drum sander height adjusting plate and screw handle bolt threads. It has to be a product that does not attract dust because both are huge dust emitters. I have used the white lithium dry grease but that has caked up over time and is a mess to clean. So my question what are all you woodworkers using on those gears and moving parts on your power woodworking tools?? Thanks in advance.
    Dri-Slide was mentioned by not a few folks here

https://www.amazon.com/ACDelco-10-40.../dp/B008I2GYIO
    "What you see and what you hear depends a great deal on where you are standing.
    It also depends on what sort of person you are.”

I just use graphite dry lubricant spray from the big box stores.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Coers View Post
    I just use graphite dry lubricant spray from the big box stores.
    Are you talking like CRC dry graphite??
    John T.

I just rebuilt a 16" Delta radial arm saw on which the column elevation had frozen. For the parts that are exposed to dust but impossible to get to without complete disassemble, like the elevation screw, I went with spray on dry graphite (equivalent to CRC dry graphite) + spray on dry molybdenum disulfide (Moly... from CRC) + spray on PTFE dry film lubricant (from DuPont). This is the heaviest RAS I have ever used (Delta long arm 50C) and it is by far the easiest to elevate that I have ever used after the rebuild... "So Far!"

For the rotating joints (turret arm, wrist joint and miter joint) I went with spray graphite + spray moly + anti-seize (the stuff you put on bolts so you can remove them at some future date). This is working MUCH better than the grease I used the last time I rebuilt a RAS... but it has only been a couple of weeks. I am hoping it will last over time.

Moly, graphite and PTFE all have very different particle sizes which I am hoping will add up to longer lubrication life while minimizing fine dust buildup.

The column froze because the RAS was left outside at some point in its life and the elevation gear box had water infiltration which caused a lot of rust including rust frozen bearings and pitting rust on the elevation screw. The gap in the back of the column base that allows the column base to clamp around the column is where the water entered the column and gear box. It was suggest on another site that deals with old woodworking equipment that this gap be sealed with silicone sealer... which I plan on doing. The silicone should go a long way to keeping future water and dust out of the column while not affecting tightening or loosening the gap (which is never done after the RAS has been dialed in anyway).
    Last edited by Michael Schuch; 10-08-2023 at 3:33 AM.

Aerosol garage door lubes are mostly moly/graphite with some volatile carrier that seems to flash off. Worth a try?

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

Dupont chain saver lube. Wax in a spray can. No silicone, self cleaning.
    Bill D