Thread: A sawbench

A sawbench

Over the weekend I finished the first of a pair of sawbenches from a FWW magazine article. I bought the construction lumber a couple weeks ago and cut/ripped everything to rough length and then let it all sit in my shop to acclimate before sizing or fitting anything. It was a good exercise in hand tool use and with the exception of ripping the boards for the legs and lower supports I did it entirely with hand tools. I've still got a long ways to go, but it was nice to have a few near perfect joints right off the saw. It's surprisingly stout and I can imagine a pair of them coming in quite handy.

Yep, use mine every project. Actually need to make another set. Nice!
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut

Blog Entries
    Nice work David.

Not much gets done in my shop without using one or more saw benches.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Well done.

I wonder if I would use those if I built them. I don't do any rip sawing. Looks like a fun project though.

Looks good.

I built a pair recently (also from a FWW design), thinking I would sell them as furniture, but have ended up using them so far...

Quote Originally Posted by Cameron Wood View Post
    Looks good.

I built a pair recently (also from a FWW design), thinking I would sell them as furniture, but have ended up using them so far...
    Now that one is complete, I thought about doing the stock prep with machines to speed things up and then make a ciuple more as gifts for friends. Either as furniture or shop fixtures.

Quote Originally Posted by David Zor View Post
    Now that one is complete, I thought about doing the stock prep with machines to speed things up and then make a ciuple more as gifts for friends. Either as furniture or shop fixtures.
    If nothing else, they're really pretty comfortable to sit on. They stack away relatively nicely too.
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut

I use mine all the time. The low surface is ergonomic for rip sawing IMHO.

They're very versatile as a seat, a step stool, auxiliary bench.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mike stenson View Post
    If nothing else, they're really pretty comfortable to sit on. They stack away relatively nicely too.
    I've made some of mine with one at 15º and the other at 10º so they stack better.

Two Saw Benchs & Stool.jpg

The top on the bottom bench is also narrower than the top bench.

Here are some others.

Right at Home saw benches tables & horses.jpg

If you look in the back there are two saw horses stacked. The bottom one is made shorter than the top one so it sits inside of the leg caps. This makes it easier to carry a pair of saw horses around the property.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

That's a great project. To upgrade to furniture / gift status is pretty easy.

Plan on a little more scrap so you can cut out knots and mixed colors. Try to manage grain orientation.

Put a 1/4" roundover on all the exposed edges.

Put a finish on it.

I wouldn't bother with either, kind of like a bench that way.
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut