Thread: Sometimes I'm just dumb

Sometimes I'm just dumb

I'm using my LN 5 1/2 plane and it's cutting like a dream (I am so glad I listened to Rob Cosman and bought this)

But I notice some 'lines' in the surface I'm planing, and I'm thinking no way this is from the blade. I think I've got some shavings caught.

clear out the curlies from the top, then feel under to see if any there and there are none..

Then -and I still have no idea why- I think maybe my blade has some problem on the edge. Do I turn it over and look ? Noooo... I just reach under and slide my finger across the edge. Luckily the whole time my sub conscience is screaming at me I didn't put alot of pressure on it and only ended up with a light bleeder.

UGH.
    "The element of competition has never worried me, because from the start, I suppose I realized wood contains so much inspiration and beauty and rhythm that if used properly it would result in an individual and unique object." - James Krenov

What you do speaks so loud, I cannot hear what you say. -R. W. Emerson

I've done the same a couple times and even with a chisel. An old 2" marples blue handle chisel i've had for 20+ years has bitten me many times
    The significant problems we encounter cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them.

The penalty for inaccuracy is more work

You won't do that again, this year.

Caught myself holding the board and chiseling toward it today. Luckily I caught myself before I did damage.

If you're going to do that again, use the tip of your finger nail instead of your finger. You'll feel the nick that way. You won't feel any nick as the iron is slicing your skin.

Lines left behind after a planing pass means your iron has chipped. If your plane is using an A2 iron, that's a well known defect of this steel. There are plenty of threads with recommendations on how to work around this issue. The short version is to increase the angle of your cutting bevel until it stops chipping.

Rafael

Blog Entries
    There are very few who have not had a moment of inattention and realized a microsecond too late that they have done something dumb.

This is how we hopefully become wiser from our experiences.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

"You won't do that again, this year."

Sadly probably a true statement. LOL
    "The element of competition has never worried me, because from the start, I suppose I realized wood contains so much inspiration and beauty and rhythm that if used properly it would result in an individual and unique object." - James Krenov

What you do speaks so loud, I cannot hear what you say. -R. W. Emerson

BTW: Sawstop is NOT some new invention....a finger or a thumb, will INSTANTLY let you know when that handsaw has found a piece of you.....as when using a rip saw and grabbing too far up the board, as a just sharpened saw comes racing down the cut...btdt...left index finger does have a faint scar...
    A Planer? I'm the Planer, and this is what I use

Ha! If you don’t do something dumb at least once per year, you must not be doing anything.

My personal dumbest moment: I’d cut 1/2” steel plate with a torch and was cleaning it up with a grinder. I wasn’t wearing gloves (already dumb). There was a little curl of metal, so I decided to pull it off by hand, rather than use the grinder I was holding. Why? I have no idea.

I stopped when I saw and smelled the smoke coming off my thumb. It didn’t hurt until I was halfway across the room to the sink. It didn’t bleed because it cauterized itself. I’ve still got a tiny line in my thumb from that moment.

If we are supposed to learn from our mistakes, I must be beyond Einstein...... Thus far, I have more cuts from the sharp edges of the boards than from my tools. Well, other than once when my bandsaw bit me.

As for lines after you plane, if they are on the edge of the blade as you make a pass, then your blade does not have any camber in it. Multiple videos on how to do that. If it is in the middle of the blade, then you have a nick, and need a lot of work....

robo hippy