Thread: Powermatic PM1000 Blade.

Powermatic PM1000 Blade.

Hey fellow woodworkers. I've been away from the wood shop for a while. I'm starting to get back into woodworking once again. Last night I pulled the trigger on a PM1000. I'm trying to figure out what size blade to use with the standard kerf riving knife as well as the thin kerf. I called powermatic and they couldn't tell me! For any of you that have this saw, what are you running on it for a thin kerf blade???

The saw does not come with a blade!

Thanks,

Deck

Quote Originally Posted by Deck Reagan View Post
    Hey fellow woodworkers. I've been away from the wood shop for a while. I'm starting to get back into woodworking once again. Last night I pulled the trigger on a PM1000. I'm trying to figure out what size blade to use with the standard kerf riving knife as well as the thin kerf. I called powermatic and they couldn't tell me! For any of you that have this saw, what are you running on it for a thin kerf blade???

Thanks,

Deck
    I would recommend only using a thin kerf for ripping but personally I prefer full kerf if you have 3HP or larger. I think the PM1000 is 1.5 or 1.75? If so, then maybe a thin kerf for ripping would be a good choice.

For all blades you need, checkout Ridge Carbide https://ridgecarbidetool.com/

They aren't cheap, but they're the best IMHO (Forrest is also good and just as spendy).

Blog Entries

Thanks,

Deck
    The Freud Glueline full kerf rip blade cuts extremely well even on my 1-1/2 Hp saw. The Freud Fusion blade is an exceptional cross cut blade also full kerf.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Table saw or bandsaw?
    Bill D

Sorry the Pm1000 is a table saw.

I have a PM1000 table saw and the everyday blade I use is a 40t Tenryu Gold Medal blade. For ripping I use a full kerf blade most of the time, either an Amana or Rigid Carbide. I only change to a rip blade when I have a lot of ripping to do, The Tenryu does a good job for most rips.

I prefer full-kerf on any table saw. Runs cooler, more stable cut. Can’t go wrong with Amana, Tenryu, Forrest, or Ridge Carbide. Hope this helps,

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

Dave,
    are you happy with your PM1000? Seems like a solid saw. Mine will be delivered tomorrow. I saved about $700 going with the Black Anniversary model.

Deck

Dave,
    are you happy with your PM1000? Seems like a solid saw. Mine will be delivered tomorrow. I saved about $700 going with the Black Anniversary model.

Deck
    I am very happy with the saw, I have had it for 6+ years and other than a couple of minor issues it has been a good saw. The plastic face on the fence wore so I replaced it with a piece of extruded aluminum and the internal hose foe the dust collect rotted out and I replaced that. Its not a 3hp saw so I just go slow a steady if making a thick cut, the saw has never let me down.

I'm looking at that same saw , how are you liking it ? and did you rewire to 220 volt ?

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Hall View Post
    I'm looking at that same saw , how are you liking it ? and did you rewire to 220 volt ?

thanks
    No, my shop is limited to 110.

Blog Entries
    I ran thin kerf 40T combo and 60T crosscut blades on my Orion 1.75HP saw but used 24T FTG full kerf for ripping with good success. Once you exceed the tier of Freud Industrial series blades the differences between many quality blades can get pretty subjective. I have had good success with Amana, Freud, Carbide Processors, Lietz, etc. I run all full kerf on my current 3HP saw.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler