Thread: Question about turning a green spalted maple blank with cracks

Question about turning a green spalted maple blank with cracks

``Hi, I have a Spalted maple blank, which I’ve waited too long to twice turn. Even though I had anchor seal on it, it still cracked. I’m turning the outside of the bowl and I put CA glue in the cracks but I’m wondering if it’s safe to continue.

Please see the attached picture. I was planning on twice turning this as the blank is not dried it yet, so I’ll turn it with thick walls, and the paper bag the blank with some of its sawdust for a long while. Just unsure about doing this when it has a crack already to start with.

Wondering if this is salvageable as I was concerned about turning the inside of the blank. I know that I could try and use epoxy as well, but I’ve not done that before.

Appreciate your advice.

Thank you!

IMG_5058.jpg

Mark

Last edited by mark ahlenius; 10-10-2023 at 4:39 PM. Reason: Adding pix

Let it go. The stuff grows on trees.

If it's turned, stop and use it for a artificial plant. Or paint orange and decorate as a Jack-O-Lantern.

Difficult to tell from just the one picture, but I think I would put it aside.

Thank you Wally

This is they type of problem that has caused turners some serious head injuries.
    If you really want to turn it, keep the RPM as low as possible, keep out of the line of fire and wear protection. Safest way is to follow Wally's advice.

Mark- Just an FYI and others may disagree, but I have stopped using CA for the most part. It is essentially plastic and has no elasticity to it. I use yellow wood glue instead which will allow the wood to move as wood always does. If this crack had shown up after you turned the inside and the bowl was drying, it might have been a candidate for epoxy, but the crack is very small and the epoxy may not have penetrated. YouTube has a series called "Turn a Wood Bowl" He is a very good instructor and has a video specifically on repairing cracks. I think this one is a candidate for the firewood pile.

I have a very strong opinion on cracks in wood turnings. First it's not worth stopping flying parts with my face, but I detest the appearance of patched cracks. What other medium do you see patched cracks when it's done? Certainly not glass or ceramic artist's work. I've never seen the high end professional woodturners do it either. It's purely a hobby turners thing, and I never strive to make my work look like I don't have the skills to produce a stunning piece. Have at it boys, my opinion on this is never popular on hobby sites and I won't be checking back in.
    Last edited by Richard Coers; 10-14-2023 at 9:49 PM.

It's still going to look cracked when it's done. Start with a fresh blank and rough turn it promptly to try to avoid cracking it in the first place.

I agree with you, Richard. As I've said before, I particularly hate the patches made from brightly colored epoxy or whatever. It just screams, "look at me" instead of the overall piece. Safety should never be risked to save bad wood.

If the crack extends into the tenon, it is firewood. If the cracking was induced by general warpage such that the exterior can't be easily smoothed with a gouge, consider it firewood.

At risk! Sand the outside (finish) smooth. Generously wrap the exterior with reinforced tape. Turn the inside. Slow and easy. YMMV.

"Life is too short to turn crappy wood." - J. K. Jordan