Thread: Question for the vintage plane aficionados

Question for the vintage plane aficionados

Hey All,

I bought a Stanley Bedrock #5 a few years ago. The handle and tote were trashed, so I bought a new cherry set from Hardware City Tools and they're great. But...

They really don't look like they belong. I was thinking about trying to track down a vintage set (plenty on eBay etc), but I'm curious if they are different by year, beyond the high / low tote variations? How do I know what I want here?

Give Eric at Vintage Tools up in New Hampshire a call....chances are he will even have the handles you need...( and free shipping, too!)
    A Planer? I'm the Planer, and this is what I use

As far as I know, most parts were interchangeable with their contemporary Bailey pattern counterparts.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/nq1RLcnjJUuWHfCX6

In your case, the handle was specific to the plane, but the knob has more options.
    Last edited by Rafael Herrera; 10-11-2023 at 9:11 AM. Reason: Corrections

My understanding is that the front knob and tote are the same for stanley/baily planes and Bedrocks of the same age. There are type studies for both bedrock and stanley/bailey.Check them and determine which type # stanley/bailey plane is the same age as your bedrock. Buying a whole plane of the right type stripping off the knob and tote for your bedrock might be an easier way to get the correct wood. Put your cherry knob and tote on the stanley and sell t for a user.

You can also make your own knob and tote but you'd probably have to use walnut rather than rosewood.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Mahogany finished with wax or garnet shellac looks good.

What do people think of cherry or maple for handles? I particularly don't like the light color of both species as handles for tools.

Quote Originally Posted by Rafael Herrera View Post

What do people think of cherry or maple for handles? I particularly don't like the light color of both species as handles for tools.
    The one plane I replaced the knob and tote on, I used cherry. It works well, and I tend to have scraps on hand. Unlike mahogany, or other exotics (the on hand bit, which is important IMO.)
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut

Blog Entries
    For the knobs (speaking of the Bedrocks) the three types are short knob, tall knob and tall knob fitting into a cast ring at the base.

A Bedrock type study is here > https://www.antique-used-tools.com/brtypes.htm

There used to be a very good type study for the Stanley/Bailey planes.

It is archived here > https://web.archive.org/web/20191222...ing/typing.htm < it may be slow to load. I made a copy before it went away. Just because it is on the internet doesn't mean it will last forever.

The Stanley/Bailey totes did change during the early years.

Stanley Totes type 6, 7 & 11.jpg

The top left is a type 6 plane (~1888-1892), the bottom left is a type 7 plane (~1893-1899) and the one on the right is a type 11 (~1910-1918)

Not a lot of changes to the shape during the 20th century. During WW II it was difficult to acquire rosewood. The knob & tote were changed to hardwood with black paint. After the war the shellac coating was much thicker. Not something to worry about since Bedrock planes ended their run in 1943.

I picked up a post war, type 18, #5-1/4 Stanley/Bailey plane today on my way home from a doctors' visit. Type 18 are distinctive due to the knurling on the depth adjuster being at an angle. This one also had an aluminum tote.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Rafael Herrera View Post

I've made some out of cherry and thought it looked good. I think Lie Nielsen uses cherry.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.