Thread: Saw ID Help

Saw ID Help

I rescued a 22' saw from my in-laws' basement. Plain beech (but comfy) handle, plain brass nuts. The etch is weak but I can make out a sun rising (setting?) over some mountains and text with what looks to be Cleveland and Lake Erie. Possibly all of this captured in the outline of the state of Ohio - that is a complete shot in the dark but it is my best guess. The other identifying marks are solid and not speculation.

I know pics would help but my attempts at capturing the etch have been without success. Can anybody point me in the right direction? I'll be cleaning it up, sharpening it and then and passing it on to o ne of my sons. I'd just like to give him a little history other than it was something his grandfather probably scored at a house sale. Thanks in advance.

There WAS a wholesale Hardware supplier in Cleveland...they had Disston make and etch saws for them.....about the same deal as with Keen Kutter items...
    A Planer? I'm the Planer, and this is what I use

How in the heck do you know such things???!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Hutchings View Post
    How in the heck do you know such things???!
    By diving down the rabbit hole and talking to Dr. Google > http://www.thckk.org/history/shapleigh-history.pdf < is just one page about American tool makers and the acquisition of one company by another.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

That's a long saw! LOL

Oops! Sadly, I can't even blame autocorrect, just my fat fingers. Guess I'll need to budget a bit more time for the sharpening.