Thread: Creeker’s Past Weeks´s Accomplishments

Creeker’s Past Weeks´s Accomplishments

12 Oct 2023

Greetings,
    I am sorry for missing the weekly posts recently. Work and life have been time challenging and I have had to make choices of what my time was spent doing.
    The local temps are getting cooler again and it is time to get back in the shop and get some things done. No real woodworking for me this past week or 4, but I have gotten a log of work done at the day job. Family is holding on well and life moves forward.

That is it for me, so what did YOU do this past week.

Best of weeks to you all.
    Last edited by Dennis Peacock; 10-12-2023 at 11:29 AM.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

So I am taking October through December off from my membership in the wood shop. start again in January. Was in Denver and 10/20 and going to Outer Banks for 3 weeks.

I left the shop with stuff to glue and sand and finish in my garage on open days so I am still woodworking at home in the down time.

Glad to hear you and yours are OK Dennis!

It is finally cooling down enough here in Albuquerque to let me have some shop time. I made a stable sign for my granddaughter’s new horse on the cnc. This is also Balloon Fiesta week with hundreds of hot air balloons taking to the sky.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Bruce Page; 10-12-2023 at 6:29 PM. Reason: Forgot the stable sign...
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

'Glad to see you back posting, Dennis...and yea...time for you to get back in your shop!

Of course, I should take that advice myself as I have not really been in there lately, either. I've been doing a lot of running around for various medical appointments for three family members including myself and just generally being lazy, but also dealing with a lot of paperwork and other things to set things up, like healthcare and retirement funds, now that The Professor is officially retired. But I do need to get out there and hopefully finish the guitar project I have most of the way done as well as to build a new eating table for our older daughter's apartment. The one she has now dates back to when Professor Dr. SWMBO lived in a basement level apartment that we fondly named "Spider Land" back in the late 1990s. LOL It's in bad shape and needs replaced. It's also an opportunity for me to get to know Rubio Monocoat as that finish will be employed to get a grey finish on the ash I'll use for the project. And I need to do this all in the recent future as it's likely I'm going to have to get my right wrist done just like I had the left one surgically repaired back in about 2016 or 2017. (lost three little bones in that procedure) The bone on bone pain in the right has escalated in the last few months and I have an appointment with a local surgeon to discuss later in the month. I guess it's just part of becoming "more mature", as it were. Once I have that done, it will be a bit of time before I can work on projects, etc., due to recovery and rehab/PT.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Welcome back, Dennis. I was wondering if you got too busy doing wood stuff to post.
    I've never made a door for a house, but my 90 YO place was worked on by my late father - except he was a gardener and not a handyman. The basement entry door was a cheap mahogany skinned interior door fitted to the jambs, and after having rebuilt it at least once, I made a new one.
    Doug Fir, construction grade for the rails and styles, mortise & tenons with 2 pegs in each tenon; S4S clear fir jointed and glued into panels for the inserts.
    Primed on the outside, spar varnish on the panels, the inside and paint coats will wait until I have more time and/or the weather is clear for final paint. In the meanwhile, mice and rain can't get in.

Been getting the tools ready for winter (unheated garage). Planes are inside, stripped, cleaned and oiled/waxed, moving blankets and shelf liners on the cast iron surfaces. Got more 6"PVC pipe today, so I'm going to redesign the workshop area and get my dust collection system working with proper duct work.
    Last edited by Aaron Rosenthal; 10-12-2023 at 9:26 PM. Reason: English usage
    Young enough to remember doing it;
    Old enough to wish I could do it again.

Good to hear from you Dennis! The shop is calling lots of us, me included.

Mary and I got back last week from a 5 week excursion celebrating Mary's retirement and knocking a few things off the bucket list. We drove from Ohio to Seattle, taking a southern route and visiting the Gateway Arch, Petrified forest, Joshua tree, Yosemite, Crater Lake, and Mt. Rainier. Spent a few days in Vegas visiting my sister and a college friend and a few days in Chico, CA, visiting Mary's sister. In Seattle, we met up with an old work buddy of mine and his wife and then dropped off the rental car. We took the Cascades train to Vancouver BC, and then the Canadian train to Toronto, flying home from there. Wonderful trip with no major issues other than a few schedule changes due to Death Valley being closed due to storm damage from earlier in the year. It's even possible that Mary and I will at some point be willing to get in the same car again! 5000 plus miles of togetherness has it's limits!

Now that we're back and mostly unpacked and recovered, I do plan to get back to the shop, although it will soon be leaf and fall cleanup season here, and of course, pickleball. But I have a long list of projects to get to in the shop.
    --I had my patience tested. I'm negative--

For several weeks, I have been researching and ordering hardware and tools for a butterfly extension dining table I am going to start building in the next couple days. Most of the hardware has arrived. I need to order the leveling legs, threaded inserts and extension locks. Wednesday my wife and I drove to Walla Walla, WA to purchase the walnut. While the table needs a calculated 53.4 bf, I purchased 63.5 board feet at $15.30/bf. This is the largest wood purchase I have ever made, at a source that I found earlier this year. My new Wixey DRO for my planer arrived. I need to install and calibrate that before I start this project.

Today a coworker, friend from out of state is arriving and coming over for coffee. Tomorrow we have to attend the memorial service for his recently decease wife.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

I went to visit my daughter, out of state. Reviewed design for a sideboard that they want- mid century/Danish style, madrone wood, which I have a goodly stash of.

Scrounged up the rest of walnut scraps needed for 2'x3' end grain countertop, & about 2/3 through cutting the pieces.

Made table legs for huge outdoor live-edge slab table from 6x12 salvaged lumber. the two slabs each weigh 2-250 lbs. The 16" beam saw works great.

Still slaving away with extensive repair/upgrade of a backyard cottage.
    Completed: Demolition, concrete removal, rgh plumbing, concrete slab, framing, repair, reframe existing, rgh electrical, plb top out, windows, door installed, fascia, gutters, roofing (4/5).
    Left to do: Insulation, sheetrock (sub), interior doors, trim, siding, exterior trim, exterior paint (sub), interior paint (sub), cabinets/shelving, flooring, finish plumbing, finish electrical, finish hardware, punch list.