Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Looking for feedback before I buy an Avid CNC

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    No question it was the right choice for you...I hope I didn't sound like I was suggesting otherwise, because I wasn't!

If you're using straight sided tabs, try tapered tabs...smoother operation because the spindle can keep moving laterially while the uppy-downy thing happens. In Vectric's software, that's a 3D tab. I use them 98% of the time and only do a straight sided tab when there's a need for extreme strength.

I understood and didn’t think you were dissing my decision. I was just clarifying because people may come here to research, so I am careful to clarify things.

Ah, that is a good idea with the tabs. I was wondering why someone would want those versus straight tabs.

The AVID machines are quite capable. I helped my buddy order a few parts from 8020.net to reinforce the exiting structure (extra extrusions, cross-members, gussets, etc.). I think he spent about 300-400 on parts/shipping and it made quite a bit of difference after we stiffened up the base.

I think that's where the steel welded machines have a huge advantage, but it comes at a real cost in $$$ and weight!

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Burnside View Post
    The AVID machines are quite capable. I helped my buddy order a few parts from 8020.net to reinforce the exiting structure (extra extrusions, cross-members, gussets, etc.). I think he spent about 300-400 on parts/shipping and it made quite a bit of difference after we stiffened up the base.

I think that's where the steel welded machines have a huge advantage, but it comes at a real cost in $$$ and weight!
    Michael - if you can, please post some photos of your buddies Avid with the reinforcements installed.
    Thanks,
    David

Quote Originally Posted by David Buchhauser View Post
    Michael - if you can, please post some photos of your buddies Avid with the reinforcements installed.
    Thanks,
    David
    I'll see if I can get some. If I remember correctly it was 40-series extrusion.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Burnside View Post
    I'll see if I can get some. If I remember correctly it was 40-series extrusion.
    Thanks! I will look forward to seeing what he came up with.
    David