Thread: Baseboard finish step up

Baseboard finish step up

At the home stretch and saved this piece of baseboard for last while trying to think of how to do step up from one piece of baseboard to another. The tile is on a floated floor. Carpet will be install at the lower elevation. The change in elevation is 3/4". Any ideas? What does it look like and how do I cut it? I have a many types of saws including miter saw. (when I previewed the picture it was vertical, not sure why)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Hillary Marks; 10-14-2023 at 7:52 PM.

How about adding a corner block?

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Garson View Post
    How about adding a corner block?

YES! Thank you for responding. I'm making a jig to try that. I'm also going to try this and see what looks best. This was suggested in another group. baseboard.jpg

Depending on what the taller piece is running to I would consider just ripping it 3/4" shorter. Like if it terminates in a doorframe or corner where it doesn't have to meet another piece that would make it noticeable.

The best way is rip off or add to the shorter run to match up at the corner.

Not a criticism. If you install baseboard before your flooring, then run the flooring up to it with a gap and cover this with quarter round. When you replace either flooring in the future, and you will, you will have to remove all the baseboard as part of the job. Brian
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Jim McCue View Post
    Depending on what the taller piece is running to I would consider just ripping it 3/4" shorter. Like if it terminates in a doorframe or corner where it doesn't have to meet another piece that would make it noticeable.
    This is how we do it. Alternatively, on occasion we have had to add a piece to the bottom of the shorter piece because it was less noticeable than ripping the taller piece.
    - Mike

I'd absolutely use corner blocks for this kind of step situation.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Blog Entries
    Even if you adjust the base molding you will still have a significant change of height between the top of the carpet to the tile. What about raising the floor in the carpeted area with some 3/4" sheets of plywood.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Runau View Post
    Not a criticism. If you install baseboard before your flooring, then run the flooring up to it with a gap and cover this with quarter round. When you replace either flooring in the future, and you will, you will have to remove all the baseboard as part of the job. Brian
    Carpet is going in this room. It's about 1/4" above the floor.