Thread: Looking for a Laser Etcher

Looking for a Laser Etcher

I have discovered this forum about five months ago when I started experimenting with Laser Etching; my goal was to make sure that an artwork that I have created is “laser etchable” on Absolute/India Black granite.

I have reached my goal, and I am satisfied with the results; this forum helped me in my efforts and I thank the contributors. (Attached is the photo of a sample etched on a 12x12 inches Absolute Black tile; the sample includes elements of the artwork, but is not a proper sub-area of the artwork; the size of an element is the actual size and no modification performed)

Unfortunately, that is not the end of my journey, and I need some help to complete the “last mile”: I am looking for a professional to laser etch the artwork on a 36x72x10 inches Absolute/India Black granite.

I have worked with a memorialist, the stone has been purchased and manufactured, but the etcher is still not identified:
    I would greatly appreciate if anybody could recommend a technically skilled etcher, who greatly appreciates art, located in the US

Another question:
    If we define “Optimal LPI” as the LPI beyond what the (etched) lines start to overlap (and cause a loss of details/tonal range), what is the highest LPI that I should expect?
    (I understand that the “Optimal LPI” depends on both the grain/quality of the granite and the laser’s spot size)

Please let me know if you have any questions, and Thank You for your input.

Technical Details:
    The samples are created using a

• Xtool Pro D1 10W laser engraver
    • JP Plus Absolute/India Black granite tiles
    • Dithering Algorithm: Atkinson
    • Power: 40%
    • Speed: 120 mm/s
    • LPI: 250
    • Spot Size: 0.08x0.06 mm
    • Engraving Software: The engraver’s native software (basic, but enough for my Use Case)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Harout Kornelian; 10-15-2023 at 3:12 PM.

That's some nice work on that piece of stone!

I have 8 lasers engravers; four of them C02, and four fiber lasers-
    My BIGGEST C02 is a Chinese Triumph 1390, 80 watt RECI tube with a 51" x 35" working area- as big as it is, it obviously won't handle the size of black granite you're hoping to get done...

I COULD do it sideways as I can theoretically engrave 51" x any length.

--However--

I've been engraving for over 50 years, all of them using rotary tool machines- via pantograph machines until 1981 when computer controlled rotary machines became available, I've been using C02 lasers for 23 years, and fiber lasers for 7 years now... and I can say that in MY experience, trying to engrave anything similar to what I see in your sample pic, in anything BUT a one-and-done pass, it would be nearly impossible to align the sections together accurately enough to be 'seamless'. My big machine has a pass-thru slot, so I can 'theoretically' engrave 35" x 'any length', however-- 2x35" is only 70" of a 72" area, so if the entire plate is to be etched, it would have to be done in THREE sections with TWO seams to align....

Finding some one or some place with a large enough machine to accommodate that large of piece of stone, AND be capable of actually 'etching' the stone, is going to be your biggest obstacle, IMO... Most huge lasers are equipped with very high-powered lasers, designed for cutting, as opposed to engraving/etching...

Just found this online: https://www.lasermencnc.com/datail_14_61.html -- seems they sell 'low' powered LARGE lasers, 2 of the 3 shown on their webpage, a 1300x2500 and a 1500x3000 would be large enough- and they're available with tubes as low as 80 watts, which is definitely within engraving AND cutting power range... no clue as to price, but someone WITH one of these machines could likely help you, I would think!

Good luck-
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

The other issue that you are going to run into is the weight of the granite piece. A lot of people in the monument industry use APLazer machines as they have open architecture (No bottom in the machine) so they can do large heavy pieces like that. However, their biggest machine has a 36" x 48" working area.
    Epilog Fusion Pro 48 - 120 Watt
    OMG Laser 60W JPT MOPA Fiber
    Mimaki UJF-6042MkII e UV Printer

Hi Kev, Steve:

Thank You for the feedback.

I agree that the dimensions of the stone make the task challenging, and there may be other challenges. I am expecting challenges.

There are Laser Engravers that accommodate the dimensions of the stone; furthermore, the artwork may be etched in three different pieces.

Personally, I'm more concerned by the size of the spot or the LPI. The spot size of most CO2 lasers is not small enough.
    Typically, the spot size of CO2 laser is about 0.006" (or about 150 LPI); some allow a bit above 300 LPI (.003" spot size)

I have created the sample using 250 LPI ( perhaps, limited by the quality of the granite tile???), it may not be possible to achieve the same using the most CO2 laser machines (The actual etched sample is more detailed that the photo that I have shared, the photos are downsized when uploaded)

I just wanted to add: Considering the spot size, Blue Diode laser may be better suited for this type of artwork, as subtle details et tonal range matter