Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Powermatic 60HH

Powermatic 60HH

A slightly used Powermatic 60 HH 8 inch jointer with mobile base is available at an estate sale this weekend. The seller is allowing me to place a deposit on it before the sale. I am simply waiting for confirmation that it is the correct model. Is $2800 a good deal for this jointer ? I would have no warranty or return option. Thanks
    Gregg Feldstone

They're $3500 new, so if it is basically new, then that seems like a reasonable deal. I'm not the best "wheeler-and-dealer" so I go with what I think is fair for both parties in a person-to-person deal. Maybe $2500 is a better number depending on when it was made. My friend owns one and uses it quite frequently, it's a solid machine. I have the parallelogram version and love it. As far as warranty, if it is slightly used, then it's already basically proven. These jointers are dead simple overall so even if something breaks, it's pretty easy to repair/replace.

If you really want the powermatic than 2800 for a really good used machine is in line with today's crazy used tool market. I've been shopping for a used 8" jointer for about 6 months I ended up buying new due too lack of any decent machines at a reasonable price. I also heard & not sure on this but the powermatic is basically the same machine as the Grizzly. If thats true you can get a brand new 8" Grizzly (dovetail) for 2K or the parallelogram 8" for about 2.2K
    https://www.grizzly.com/products/gri...terhead/g0490x
    Here's a link to a new scratch & dent 60HH for about 1.8K but they don't ship.
    https://seattle.craigslist.org/skc/t...672500464.html

Good Luck !

Get one with knives take the savings to buy a planer with a insert head.
    Good Luck
    Aj

Not knowing the market it's hard to tell. Back in 2020 I picked up a PJ882-HH with the Powermatic mobile base for $2000 that was like new. I had been looking around for some time and was going to buy a new Grizzly when it showed up on facebook. I have plenty of Grizzly products in my shop and my personal opinion is you pay more for things like fit and finish but also for dealer markups for Powermatic over Grizzly.

If I remember correctly the mobile base on the 882 was an extra $250. For me it was worth it because I still haven't moved into my shop so I have to move equipment around. The 882 has a curved front so the mobile base only fit that model. Trying to sell it most likely would have fetched $50 to $100. So if the base is worth it to you then it increases the value to you. If it doesn't its not likely to bring you a lot of money if you try to sell it.

I wouldn't call it a great deal but if it's a jointer you would like in your shop then it's worth playing a little extra over a Grizzly. If you think someday you'll sell it it's also worth more. It's a good jointer that will last a lifetime.

I own several PM tools, but all bought used and cheap. The newer ones are no different than any of the other Taiwan brands like JET or Grizzly. You are paying about 50% more for the gold paint, warranty, and customer service. Of those you would only benefit from the paint! I think it's only worth 15-16 hundred in my area. You are paying more for used than many comparable new machines. I wouldn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Russell Hayes View Post
    I own several PM tools, but all bought used and cheap. The newer ones are no different than any of the other Taiwan brands like JET or Grizzly. You are paying about 50% more for the gold paint, warranty, and customer service. Of those you would only benefit from the paint! I think it's only worth 15-16 hundred in my area. You are paying more for used than many comparable new machines. I wouldn't.
    This is pretty much true of my 20+ year old PM54a too. At this point, the only differentiator for me is I can go pick up a powermatic locally, and bring it home. As opposed to having to deal with freight delivery on a non-maintained road.
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut

Quote Originally Posted by Russell Hayes View Post
    ... Of those you would only benefit from the paint!
    Totally worth it! I love owning all the controversial tools in my shop. It's gold Powermatic, black SawStop and green Festool Domino all the way baby!
    Last edited by Michael Burnside; 10-16-2023 at 6:30 PM.

I also think Powermatic tools are way overpriced. The only thing they had going for them was they sponsored The Wood Whisperer. They dropped that sponsorship a while back, so they don't even have that going for them.

It's also my experience that used machines are rarely a good deal these days. In my area, they tend to sell near or at full retail. And I mean "sell". People keep buying them at those prices. Not this people. I guess others consider it worthwhile for immediate availability and pickup? But shoot, many of these machines are in stock at Woodcraft and Rockler. So yeah, I don't get it.

It may be like Subarus here in Colorado. Those cars are extremely popular. Strangely, used Subarus often sell for MORE than a new Subaru. I think people just assume the used Subaru is less expensive and they buy it. Used car dealers certainly aren't going to tell them otherwise.

Meh, I've learned over the years that what people find important or "worth it", especially in a woodworking tool, may not align with me. Would I like Powermatic to be less expensive? Yep. But compared to most I find their build quality and performance top notch, and I'm happy (and lucky enough) to have them in my shop.

Seems high to me. Your location may have limited machines and higher prices. I got my planner and jointer from high school shop auctions.
    Bill D

Blog Entries
    I like Powermatic tools. About half of my shop is Powermatic (jointer, planer, mortiser, air filter). At this point the tools are about 15 years old and have performed well.

PHM
    Last edited by Paul McGaha; 10-17-2023 at 9:39 PM.

Blog Entries
    I have this machine and it does a great job. Everyday, I am searching for a 12” jointer, and someone who will magically move it into my garage. The dust collection does a good job. It is easy to set up and maintain. To put the price in perspective, I bought mine in 2020 for 1,500 used.

So thereÂ’s also a pm 1150 Drill, 2 walker turner bandsaws One is to Speed, pm 35b sander, walker turner Benchtop drill,
    pm tablesaw,
    anyone ever had the 1115 drill. I just bought a 2820 and donÂ’t really like it. no comparison right?
    Gregg Feldstone

Gregg, the Powermatic 2820 EVS with a Llambrich jk-130-mt2 chuck is a phenomenal combination and an overall outstanding drill press. The depth stop is an outstanding design and being able to operate the quill with either right or left hand is something I could never give up now that I have it. I'm curious what you don't like about it.