Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Getting rid of my stationary tools in a month or two, what should I do?

Getting rid of my stationary tools in a month or two, what should I do?

Dear Creekers,

My wife and I are looking into buying a new house, since we have a kiddo.
    We found an amazing place in a good school district, across from a playground, near the ocean ferry, on a safe street.
    The only downside is that there's no space for all my larger power tools (drill press, bandsaw, tablesaw, router table, belt sander, joiner, dust collector).

I plan to donate my tools to my friend's shared workspace, so I'll still be able to have access to the tools....but way less (especially with a baby).

In the meantime, I have a rack of rock maple...a full set of japanese chisels, japanese saws, hand planes, tracksaw, sander, palm routers, cordless drills/planer, Blum workbench, HEPA vac, etc.

Do you have any recommendations on what to do?

I'm thinking of building a Roman workbench, so that I can do some woodworking when my kid is old enough to go to the playground.
    Or maybe a Moravian? Or nothing, and just enjoy the ride?

In the meantime, I'm trying to use up my stockpile of wood.
    I have a bunch of port orford cedar (for guitars), that I'm planning on also using for some kiddo furniture like toilet step stools (like a squatty potty). I have maple (reserved for a workbench top....but tbw, may be just furniture). I have spanish cedar (also reserved for guitars, but tb, may be better for building furniture).

Just wondering if you have ideas.

The Roman/Rex Kruger workbench is particularly appealing as it's relatively easy to make. It can double as seating. It's portable, and works.

Blog Entries
    While I was on active duty, I worked on projects out side in the back yard, storing the tools in a closet. When we moved to a house with a garage the tools moved to the garage as well and I made projects in the garage and driveway. You'll want to keep most of your portable and hand tools.

If you become a contributor, you can sell excess items on the classifieds forum here at SMC to woodworkers who would be happy to put them in their collections.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Blog Entries
    Can you loan your big tools to the shared workspace rather than donate them? Is there any room to build a little space at the new place? I just spent over 100 days away from my shop and man did I miss it.
    Best Regards, Maurice

I don't understand the question. Are you getting away from the tools because of space restraints in the new house, or is it because of a baby coming?

Either way, if you WANT to keep working, but with a smaller scale, almost any house that has a yard, can handle a garden shed for small projects. OR, if it is because of the baby, why not keep them and make things for the kid(s)? Even a closet can work, as some here have attested. What little girl would turn down a doll cradle, or boy a little toy train?

On the other hand, if you DON'T WANT to keep them for another reason, disregard this message, but store the expensive items just in case you might change your mind.

PS: My great grandson will be 5 in February, and is excited about the bench I promised to build him for his birthday. Right now he loves to play with a small vise, and magnets. It will be kept in a corner of my shop for when he is here.
    Last edited by Rick Potter; 10-19-2023 at 2:22 AM.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

Children do take a ton of time and dedication BUT they aren't the end of your life. For many years my hobbies took a back seat to being a single father and primary caregiver then one day my daughter found some interest in my hobbies. All of that great stuff that I considered disposing of became a great conduit for connecting with my daughter (not all of it but some of it). We built several woodworking projects together, Stuff she will always cherish. Now she is 18 and has been at college for about a month now. My old camera gear is being borrowed for her art class. We have plans to build a window plant stand/shelves to fit in their dorm window. This evening we spent 4 hours working on math assignments over dinner before she went back to the dorm.

It has been pointed out to me that I haven't lost a daughter, I have gained 3 new children (her dorm mates) to make home cooked meals for since they are only about 45 minutes from my home. These are on top of her high school friends that still come around for food and to hang out.

My suggestion is to not get rid of your tools. There are times between diaper changes when it is just nice to go out and visit your old friends for a few minutes. And I have never seen a house that doesn't eventually need some tools for upkeep and maintenance.

I have lumber and sheet goods that I bought 30 years ago that I am just using now. Figure out a good storage strategy. Does the house have an attic? Can you install a pull down stair case to access the attic for storage? How about a garden shed for tool storage?
    Last edited by Michael Schuch; 10-19-2023 at 4:39 AM.

what little girl would turn down a doll cradle? Me. And lots of other girls I knew and know.
    Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning, the devil says, "oh crap she's up!"

Tolerance is giving every other human being every right that you claim for yourself.

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts are gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts will happen to man. All things are connected. " Chief Seattle Duwamish Tribe

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Lau View Post
    Dear Creekers,

My wife and I are looking into buying a new house, since we have a kiddo.
    We found an amazing place in a good school district, across from a playground, near the ocean ferry, on a safe street.
    The only downside is that there's no space for all my larger power tools (drill press, bandsaw, tablesaw, router table, belt sander, joiner, dust collector)...
    Sounds like you not seeing the big picture and have quit house-hunting too soon.
    "Anything seems possible when you don't know what you're doing."

I have been in large shops then apartments then garages then a condo then.... etc.

The large stuff I sell if no room. Buy it back later after the next move. Now using a combo machine to conserve space.

The small stuff I am selective and have always found a spot in a spare bedroom (or even the corner of a living room at one point) to do some hand work.

I just adjust the type of project to what the capabilities allow, and have always been able to do 'something'.

In addition to a knock down bench, consider some version of a tool chest for all of the tools you're going to keep. It can look like furniture in the new home; think hope chest or end tables to to match your decor and doubles as temperature controlled storage in the salt air environment. It keeps tools together and easily accessible. If you have a lot of hand tools, consider a couple of smaller chests the can be easily stored and moved around as needed. Here's some ideas: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dU97...-Y9UzrHnXzUjqc
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wTVfHwzc7kY&t=1092s
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZiC_rfV2Rw&t=113s
    Last edited by Michael Dean; 10-19-2023 at 8:32 AM.

My advice is to keep your bandsaw if you can find anyplace to stick it. Put it on a mobile base. They don't take up a lot of floor space but are SOOOOOO versatile.

I sold my tablesaw 2 years ago, and try to use mainly hand tools, but am very glad to still have my bandsaw. Instead of spending 4 days hand cutting drawer sides by hand, you can cut them in a few mins, and leave plenty of time to spend w ur baby

p

A kid will effect when you can use the shop if your connected to the house. My oldest is 6 and her bedroom is directly above garage shop with 5hp DC in attic 8' from her bed. So power tools are out after 8pm. Even sanding is too loud. My work schedule is 6-6(usually only 5 days) so I only have a 2 hr window during the week but Sat/Sun there is plenty of time to get in there. Every 4 weeks or so ill take off a Friday and spend the day in the shop too.kids become self sufficient(with a tv) by 5 and even my 3 year old can be left inside for a short time while im in the garage. So kids wont be the end just a small break.

No garage or basement on the other hand is a little harder to deal with. Garden shed is a good idea

If not sell what you have and by back used in the future when space opens up for you. For the most part you should be able to get back in without having lost too much. There are always people that want the full value back for what they paid but for the most part a 3hp sawstop sold used today shouldnt sell for too much more in a few years assuming the same condition.

I would definitely work through your rock maple while you have power tools

Wow. That is the most encouraging, humane thing I have read in a forum or anywhere in quite a long time. You made my day, Michael.

BTW, I agree with your advice to the OP. I regularly use tools that spent years in storage, moved from space to space, and building to building, when I scarcely had time to use them, wood that I stashed away decades ago. Right now I'm working on figuring out a design for a display frame to be made from very nice hardwood trim that we removed from around the blackboard in the one room school house that we converted into our home, and which has been stored away for the last 42 years.

Quote Originally Posted by andy bessette View Post
    Sounds like you not seeing the big picture and have quit house-hunting too soon.
    Have you looked for a house *lately*? Depending on the area, it can be very slim pickings. And with interest rates *way* up from a couple of years ago, affordability is also a major issue. Likely it was pretty tough for the OP to find the house he did find and get his offer accepted. Typically, when you find a good property at a good price these days, someone comes along with a cash offer and you get the boot.

My cousin is currently going through all this right now. She has looked at 30 houses in the Denver area. She liked only one, made a generous offer and got outbid. Her budget is pretty high. I can't imagine what it's like for someone with a not so high budget.

Matt, my thinking is very much along the same lines as Michael. I became a parent at age 48 and although we skipped diapers and went right to puberty (adoption of age 6 and 10), not being able to do the things I enjoyed for "peace of mind", if even only occasionally for awhile, would not have been healthy for me. Think things through and try to find a way to preserve your options within reason. And congratulations on the growing family!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Thank you!