Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Getting rid of my stationary tools in a month or two, what should I do?

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Germain View Post
    Have you looked for a house *lately*? Depending on the area, it can be very slim pickings. And with interest rates *way* up from a couple of years ago, affordability is also a major issue. Likely it was pretty tough for the OP to find the house he did find and get his offer accepted. Typically, when you find a good property at a good price these days, someone comes along with a cash offer and you get the boot.

My cousin is currently going through all this right now. She has looked at 30 houses in the Denver area. She liked only one, made a generous offer and got outbid. Her budget is pretty high. I can't imagine what it's like for someone with a not so high budget.
    Sounds really rough. I've been living in a 23' travel trailer for the past ten years.
    "Anything seems possible when you don't know what you're doing."

Quote Originally Posted by andy bessette View Post
    Sounds really rough. I've been living in a 23' travel trailer for the past ten years.
    By choice or by circumstance? Either way, please onsider how you might react if someone told you, "Sounds like you just haven't looked hard enough".

I did a lot more woodworking when my children were little. They pretty much grew up watching dad build stuff. I'm happy to say, it rubbed off on them and both are handier than most. My daughter is a Miss USA title holder (a real girly girl) and is building her own "pageant room" as I type this. I've got no advice for you on how to handle your move. I will say that the type of activities you do around your winkins will shape the adults they become.

Quote Originally Posted by Maurice Mcmurry View Post
    Can you loan your big tools to the shared workspace rather than donate them? Is there any room to build a little space at the new place? I just spent over 100 days away from my shop and man did I miss it.

I'm gonna be doing this.

My friend is starting up a shared maker space for our church and community.

Quote Originally Posted by andy bessette View Post
    Sounds like you not seeing the big picture and have quit house-hunting too soon.
    Sorry, I haven't been on the forum since we're still busy checking out houses.
    We were also busy preparing for my son's 100 day ceremony.

I plan to donate my tools to my friend's shared maker space, so I'll still have access to them.
    I'm thinking of maybe building a few portable workbenches, and better organizing my hand tool storage.

I'm still trying to figure out how to best use my power tools to make stuff before December.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Germain View Post
    Have you looked for a house *lately*? Depending on the area, it can be very slim pickings. And with interest rates *way* up from a couple of years ago, affordability is also a major issue. Likely it was pretty tough for the OP to find the house he did find and get his offer accepted. Typically, when you find a good property at a good price these days, someone comes along with a cash offer and you get the boot.

My cousin is currently going through all this right now. She has looked at 30 houses in the Denver area. She liked only one, made a generous offer and got outbid. Her budget is pretty high. I can't imagine what it's like for someone with a not so high budget.
    Offer is going in today. We put in a solid offer...and have a 50% chance of getting the house.

If we don't get it, I'm still probably gonna be trying to use up my rock maple...move the tools.
    My friend's agreement is that each member pays about $50/m for use of the facility/utilities.
    I can have my tools back at any time.

I don't see this as necessarily a bad thing...or the end of the world.
    Just rather, another phase in life.

As Michael eloquently wrote, there's many beautiful new things to gain if we keep our hands open.
    In my case, I'll be shifting to properly use the nice hand tools that I've been collecting over the years.
    Except, now I have to be much more intentional about how I use my time/wood/tools in a focused period of time.

Btw, thanks for the links to the tool cabinets.

Currently, I'm using a crude wooden chest that I found in Sacramento.
    It crossed the ocean in 190X with somebody named Kennedy.
    It'd kept my tools from rusting...but there's no organization.

We just closed on the house last night!!!!!!

Anyways, I'm planning out a workbench right now.
    I'm thinking of doing a Rex Kruger Quick Stack bench...but with a maple top.

Blog Entries
    Congratulations. May a steady stream of wooden toys and creativity roll across your bench!
    Best Regards, Maurice

Congratulations, Matt! It's nice when the "big plan" comes together so you can get started with all that other things that have been bouncing around!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

My wish for you in the new house is to find good neighbors