Thread: Yorktown Day , and you can celebrate it wherever you are !

Yorktown Day , and you can celebrate it wherever you are !

This is Yorktown Day , where British General Cornwallis surrendered to George Washington, heck of a guy!
    Cornwallis was not manly enuf to do it himself so he sent a guy of lower rank. Washington had studied war etiquette
    and sent his guy of same rank. Probably surprised Cornwallis.

Blog Entries
    So many stories…
    the Marquee du Lafayette was at that surrender wearing a pair of ceremonial pistols. If you go to the Museum of the American Revolution in Yorktown, you can see them they were donated to he museumby the direct descendants of Dr William Burnet who is also my ancestor. Lafayette gave the pistols to Burnet as a token of gratitude for seeing him through a case of pneumonia.

I researched Burnet to qualify for the Sons of the American Revolution. I know that he completed a two year course of study at the College of New Jersey which would later change its name to Princeton. He then studied medicine medicine under a Dr Stadt in White Plains NY.

Here’s my question: Did the marquee survive pneumonia because of what Burnet did or in spite of it?

one other takeaway from my research. One of Burnet’s sons went on to help found Cincinnati Ohio. Another became the first president of the republic of Texas. I guess this was the land of opportunity. If you had more than a couple of brain cells to rub together, you got tapped for big things.

Lafayette stayed a long time at Washington’s Mount Vernon and helped fight the British as …a teenager! Carried some American dirt
    with him when he went home to France . It was to be spread under his grave.

Yorktown is by far my favorite Historical site. It is surreal when standing on the grounds and knowing that the battle was decisive in the birth of this great nation. If the battle was lost how it could have changed the outcome of the American Revolution and the future impact the United States has had on the World.

Blog Entries
    Howard Giles Unger's book Lafayette Is a fascinating read. There are a whole lot of places named Lafayette or Fayette. It is embarrassing that I did not know why until fairly recently. What will be an appropriate way to celebrate Yorktown day? To honor revolutionary war soldiers we could see how it is to live outside in the winter, starve, freeze, get several diseases, march hundreds of miles without socks or good boots..... and still be able to fight. Thanks for the reminder I think I will drive through our charming little town "Fayette" and be grateful this weekend.
    Best Regards, Maurice

Yes, most Americans don't realize how instrumental the French army and the French navy were in helping us win that battle. And don't know that it was in 1781, not 1776. The US Revolutionary War was essentially a sideshow in the ongoing war between France and Britain, so that's why they helped us.
    < insert spurious quote here >

Quote Originally Posted by Stan Calow View Post
    Yes, most Americans don't realize how instrumental the French army and the French navy were in helping us win that battle. And don't know that it was in 1781, not 1776. The US Revolutionary War was essentially a sideshow in the ongoing war between France and Britain, so that's why they helped us.
    Completely agree. David McCullough’s book 1776 makes it pretty clear that the french were instrumental in American Independence. They provided funds, equipment, personnel like LaFayette and military support on occasions like Yorktown. Washington’s guys were brave and endured great hardships - I’m not taking away from that. But even when france does something I disagree with - which is “often” - I try to remember that.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

The Museum of the American Revolution in Yorktown is really nice, as are the Yorktown Battlefield National Park Service facilities. I have enjoyed biking the Yorktown battlefield trails in the fall when the leaves turn and tourism slows down. In the summer, when things are hot and sweaty one can stop for a refreshing splash from the same hidden spring that provided water to Washington and his staff at their headquarters there. It's a great place for history buffs. The Colonial Parkway runs from Yorktown to Jamestown (another great historical site) and is a really nice drive, although much of it was recently closed for renovation.

I heard on the radio that today is also shredding day. Stay independent, shred that information before the redcoats read it.
    Bill D
    Last edited by Bill Dufour; 10-22-2023 at 3:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    I hear don the radio that today is also shreding day. Stay independent, shred that information before the redcoats read it.
    Bill D

Bill that is a good tip. Some how it reminds me of Nathan Hale. A profoundly sad story of duty and courage.

Quote Originally Posted by Stan Calow View Post
    The US has reciprocated to France with our involvement in WW1,WW2, and Viet Nam wars.