Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Desparate need for Unisaw arbor nut

Desparate need for Unisaw arbor nut

My 36-L552 Type 3 Delta Machinery Unisaw did not come with the dado arbor nut as list in the manual. I didn't notice until I went to use my dado stack. Delta machinery has vanished and never answers calls or emails. Their part number is A2490S. It's right hand threads, but from what I can find out the TPI are not standard. None of the sources they list (eparts, erevoparts, etc.) has one. They all state: Discontinued by Manufacturer. McMasters-Carr hasn't gotten back to me yet, but they didn't have one on their site.

Can anyone help me? I've seen posts where a Frank S. makes them or has a source, but I can't locate him. And those posts were a several years old.
    TIA
    Mark
    Last edited by Lee Schierer; 10-22-2023 at 6:51 AM.

Log on to Old Woodworking Machines and post your search in the "Bring Out Your Dead" classifieds.

https://www.owwm.org/

This is the 'new' style Unisaw, right?

If I understand you, there is a separate nut for dado's as opposed to sawblades? Most cabinet saws I have seen use the same nut, but sometimes have to use it without the washer, which they say is ok. Personally, I use a flat 5/8" washer on my older Unisaw when dadoing.

If it is a separate nut, take the nut you have to a place that specializes in nuts and bolts (King Bolt in my area), and ask them to tell you what thread it is, and their advice.

OR...Call Grizzly parts dept. and see if they have one that fits. They carry a lot of parts for Asian saws.

PS: Welcome to the Creek. For six bucks you can be a contributor....well worth it.
    Last edited by Rick Potter; 10-21-2023 at 12:11 PM.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Potter View Post
    This is the 'new' style Unisaw, right?
    If I understand you, there is a separate nut for dado's as opposed to sawblades? Most cabinet saws I have seen use the same nut, but sometimes have to use it without the washer, which they say is ok. Personally, I use a flat 5/8" washer on my older Unisaw when dadoing.
    If it is a separate nut, take the nut you have to a place that specializes in nuts and bolts (King Bolt in my area), and ask them to tell you what thread it is, and their advice. OR...Call Grizzly parts dept. and see if they have one that fits. They carry a lot of parts for Asian saws.
    Are you saying Delta Machinery are Asian Saws and similar to Grizzly? I was told they are made in Spartanburg, SC.
    Anyway, yes, the "standard" blade nut has a very wide flange. Supposedly a dado will not work with this. See pics.

20231021_121105.jpg20231021_121111.jpg
    Last edited by Mark Evans; 10-21-2023 at 1:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Newman View Post
    Log on to Old Woodworking Machines and post your search in the "Bring Out Your Dead" classifieds.
    https://www.owwm.org/
    This is not an old machine. Less than 2 years old bought new from lowe's.
    I will try what you suggest. Thanks

Supposedly?

Mount your dado stack on the post and give this a try. It may not work will a full 3/4" stack due to the thickness of your arbor nut, but my guess is that it will work fine.

Also try eBay and get one of their Delta Unisaw arbor nuts, for $13 its worth a try.
    Last edited by Thomas McCurnin; 10-21-2023 at 1:08 PM.
    Regards,

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Evans View Post
    Are you saying Delta Machinery are Asian Saws and similar to Grizzly? I was told they are made in Spartanburg, SC.
    Anyway, yes, the "standard" blade nut has a very wide flange. Supposedly a dado will not work with this. See pics.

In a subsequent post to this quote, you indicated the machine is only two years old. Delta branded machinery has not been made in the US for a very long time, AFAIK. It's not even the same company as it was "back in the day".
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Blog Entries
    Can you use the one you have upside down with no washer, or with a thin flat washer? My wobble dado won't fit on my Delta Homecraft saw with anything but a very thin homemade washer.
    Best Regards, Maurice

On the older unisaw it was 5/8-12. LH acme threads. I suppose it could have been buttress threads but I am pretty sure it is acme.
    Bill D

A 5/8 lawnmower blade nut may work. I know there are several different threads available because I remember buying some that didn't fit that mower. With threads all the way to the end of that nut, it should work fine put on backwards.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    In a subsequent post to this quote, you indicated the machine is only two years old. Delta branded machinery has not been made in the US for a very long time, AFAIK. It's not even the same company as it was "back in the day".
    Read this on Wikipedia; .[1] Chang Type is moving Delta's production tooling from a Stanley Black & Decker owned facility in Jackson, Tennessee to a facility in Anderson County, South Carolina.

And from the Lowe's website;
    Where is this saw built?
    Anonymous on December 28, 2019

Answer

The Unisaw is made in the USA using foreign and domestic components.

Last edited by Richard Coers; 10-21-2023 at 11:57 PM.

Interesting, Richard. Who knew?
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

If I remember correctly, the "new" uni can take up to a 1" dado stack. How big are you going that the stock nut won't fit?

Quote Originally Posted by John Kananis View Post
    If I remember correctly, the "new" uni can take up to a 1" dado stack. How big are you going that the stock nut won't fit?
    The way the large flange is attached to the nut, it takes up a lot of room. The nut spins on the flange and is not removeable.
    Unisaw_Flange_Nut.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    On the older unisaw it was 5/8-12. LH acme threads. I suppose it could have been buttress threads but I am pretty sure it is acme.
    Bill D
    I believe you are correct, but even McMaster-Carr doesn't have a 5/8-12 LH. And I need RH thread
    Last edited by Mark Evans; 10-24-2023 at 10:54 AM.