Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Sharpening Station Setups?

Quote Originally Posted by steven c newman View Post
    Shopping Trip, today...NEW bottle of 3in1 Oil...and 1,500 grit, 2,000 grit, and 3000 grit Wet or Dry sandpaper....

Usual routine: Use a coarse oil stone. then the 600 grit Medium India....wipe the India off, and add clean oil...lay the first grit of sandpaper into the puddle of oil...sandpaper stays put. then work up through the grits....then finish up with the Green Compound of the cloth wheel....done...

Retouch of an edge while I am using it? Pants leg of my work Blue Jeans...both bevel and the back....back to work...
    How long does it take you to sharpen a plane iron?

10 minutes....and back to work...
    A Planer? I'm the Planer, and this is what I use

Had a bolt together bench we’d gotten off the hog river site a while back for something else that never materialized. Put it together a couple of weekends ago and today rearranged things to have a place for it. Now I;ve got a stable, permanent place for my sharpening gear.
    IMG_0984.jpgIMG_0985.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by steven c newman View Post
    10 minutes....and back to work...
    Steven, seriously, that is far too long! My patience is fine for productive tasks, but would be sorely tested if I needed to spend 10 minutes every time a blade needed to be sharpened. I rather doubt that it takes me more than 1 minute to hone a dull blade. I think that it is time to re-assess your method.

Regards from Perth

Derek