Thread: Wood floor protectors for furniture

Wood floor protectors for furniture

We just installed some maple solid woof flooring and we have a large area rug in the room. I put stick on felt on the bottom of the chairs and couch. I was afraid to use nylon, thought it might dent the wood flooring. I did not want to use the nail on nylon. Had one crack without me knowing and the nail head scratch the old flooring. I thought about these, since they are screw on and the screw head is recessed below the nylon slider, but some of the reviews said the slider came off the the main body and the darker brow portion damaged their floors.

https://www.amazon.com/Slipstick-CB2..._dp&th=1&psc=1

The problem is the felt does not stick well enough when you move the front legs of the couch that sit on the carpet, it pulls the stick on felt off.

Appreciate any ideas.

Thanks.

Brian
    Brian

We had the same concerns in a rental house, and went with the slip over ones that are clear going up the leg. After one season of use by a lot of different people, they are all still intact and no damage to the floor.

I have put a tiny bit of hot-melt glue on the leg before attaching the felt pad and so far it is holding up well.

We're using nail-on metal glides and they're holding up well after 20 years on our dining table chairs and wood floors. I've had a nail come through one in the past and that can be bad but I believe it was an isolated case. I don't use felt because grit can become embedded in it. The ones you link to might be OK if the material is hard enough to not pick up grit, but note that they have 7% one-star reviews.

My solution was to make my own 'felt type. I have some commercial carpet squares, about 24x24, really heavy quality weave and strong backing. I cut that to fit everything in the house, beds, dressers, sofas, tables, chairs...everything. Then went to work with a can of contact cement and brush. Took 3 coats on the carpet pieces to build a good layer on the surface, used two coats on the furniture. That was years ago and I think maybe a couple of the smaller chair leg pieces have been restuck.

The advantage is one can cut a piece to cover the full profile of the leg end, getting maximum contact area.

We have a lot of oak and bamboo flooring and even the heaviest can be moved like it is on rollers with no floor damage.

Here's my take on felt pads and such.... Consider a wood-tipped leg getting dragged along a wooden floor. The wood in the leg is no harder than the wood in the floor, so there won't be scratching. What does scratch the floor is anything which is substantially harder than the wood -- like a bit of gravel. That bit of gravel trapped under the wood leg tip will scratch the floor. But, of course, that same bit of gravel trapped under a felt tipped leg will also scratch the floor. That is, the felt tip does nothing to help protect the floor.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Howatt View Post
    I have put a tiny bit of hot-melt glue on the leg before attaching the felt pad and so far it is holding up well.
    Thanks, I'll try this. Brian
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Tom M King View Post
    We had the same concerns in a rental house, and went with the slip over ones that are clear going up the leg. After one season of use by a lot of different people, they are all still intact and no damage to the floor.
    Thanks. Brian
    Brian

Blog Entries
    The stick-on felt have been hit and miss depending on the wood they are stuck to. If that wood has any wax or oil, the pads don't stick well over time. So they stick to metal feet just fine. I found that using one brad nail to secure the pad works fine. Obviously just make sure the brad is set well beneath the wearing surface of the pad.
    NOW you tell me...

The cup style are what come to mind
    https://www.amazon.com/SoftTouch-Squ...s%2C95&sr=8-16

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Buxton View Post
    Here's my take on felt pads and such.... Consider a wood-tipped leg getting dragged along a wooden floor. The wood in the leg is no harder than the wood in the floor, so there won't be scratching. What does scratch the floor is anything which is substantially harder than the wood -- like a bit of gravel. That bit of gravel trapped under the wood leg tip will scratch the floor. But, of course, that same bit of gravel trapped under a felt tipped leg will also scratch the floor. That is, the felt tip does nothing to help protect the floor.
    What If someone is sitting in the chair and shifts their weight causing the chair to slightly move or drag?