Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stanely #62- What a treat for shooting miters.

Stanely #62- What a treat for shooting miters.

Ive tried cutting dovetails. Endlessly. And my skills improved. but usually not enough for a box I’d want to give away.
    So I started cutting miters. Then made a donkeys ear to clean them up.
    Ive used several planes to shoot these miters. Sometimes it goes well. Often it’s arduous and I finish a day w/ some impressive tear out and a blister on my palm.
    So I looked at specific shooting planes. I’d like to say that the Veritas never even made it to my cart, but it did. Thankfully it occurred to me that I can only shoot w/ it in one direction, and couldn’t reverse it to use w/ the other hand.

And so fell down the sharpening rabbit hole. Which had me spending too much time wondering about angles of an edge.

And then, I started looking at low angle bevel up planes. Some eBay auctions didn’t go my way and I ended up buying a modern Stanley #62.
    It arrived and looked fine, though the mouth didn’t adjust as it should. Since the threaded insert was stripped out. Some epoxy fixed that easy enough. certainly faster than sending the plane back and replacing it would have.
    It’s square and (now) plenty sharp.

And I’ll be damned…. This thing is an absolute treat for shooting endgrain. It’s not like I didn’t believe all the folks that said the same thing, but I didn’t believe it would matter so much.
    Much much less tear out. Clean edges. Smoother cuts.
    It’s a treat to use.

-PD
    Last edited by Peter Daniels; 10-25-2023 at 7:37 PM.
    If your chute doesn't open, you have the rest of your life to fix it.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Daniels View Post
    Ive tried cutting dovetails. Endlessly. And my skills improved. but usually not enough for a box I’d want to give away.
    So I started cutting miters. Then made a donkeys ear to clean them up.
    Ive used several planes to shoot these miters. Sometimes it goes well. Often it’s arduous and I finish a day w/ some impressive tear out and a blister on my palm.
    So I looked at specific shooting planes. I’d like to say that the Veritas never even made it to my cart, but it did. Thankfully it occurred to me that I can only shoot w/ it in one direction, and couldn’t reverse it to use w/ the other hand.

And so fell down the sharpening rabbit hole. Which had be spending too much time wondering about angles of an edge.

And then, I started looking at low angle bevel up planes. Some eBay auctions didn’t go my way and I ended up buying a modern Stanley #62.
    It arrived and looked fine, though the mouth didn’t adjust as it should. Since the threaded insert was stripped out. Some epoxy fixed that easy enough. certainly faster than sending the plane back and replacing it would have.
    It’s square and (now) plenty sharp.

And I’ll be damned…. This thing is an absolute treat for shooting endgrain. It’s not like I didn’t believe all the folks that said the same thing, but I didn’t believe it would matter so much.
    Much much less tear out. Clean edges. Smoother cuts.
    It’s a treat to use.

-PD
    Make yourself a hot dog handle (look on LN site), get your hand closer to the mouth. It will be even easier!
    If the thunder don't get you, the lightning will.

A bicycling glove helps prevent those blisters.

gloves.jpg

A little bit of denatured alcohol (or Everclear) diluted with a little water also makes the end grain easier to plane.

Blog Entries
    +1 on getting or making a hot dog for your #62.

LN #62.jpg

My choice was to purchase a LN#62 before anyone was making a modern shooting plane or Stanley released a modern #62.

My reason on this was my shoulder is a bit sore after a lot of shooting with a bench plane. On Veritas second at a price I couldn't refuse I ended up purchasing a left hand Veritas Shooting Plane.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Of course LN makes an add on handle.
    Clever little gadget. Perhaps....)
    (edit- $75!!? I'll just have a blister now and then.... No way I'd spend that. Though I might make one from a chunk of purple heart ive been wondering what to do w/)

But my 45 donkey's ear shooting board has two fences. So that I can shoot in one direction, then flip the piece over and shoot the opposite side using the other fence. This means I'd have to swap the hotdog to other side too.

Funny you mention the gloves- last fall I started using them. And then somehow forgot to use them recently. Funnier still- I spend more time on bikes than I do doing anything else besides maybe sleeping.
    And so, my stutter step learning curve continues.

-P
    Last edited by Peter Daniels; 10-25-2023 at 7:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Brown View Post
    A little bit of denatured alcohol (or Everclear) diluted with a little water also makes the end grain easier to plane.
    This is insane to me. Ive never tried it but will tomorrow.
    What does it do the wood that makes it helpful?

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Daniels View Post
    This is insane to me. Ive never tried it but will tomorrow.
    What does it do the wood that makes it helpful?
    Same reason they wet your hair when they cut it. It softens it.
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut

Yes, I have the Wood River No. 62...and ..NO, I do not use a shooting board....
    A Planer? I'm the Planer, and this is what I use

I used a LN62 as a shooting plane for many years and it was great. A couple years ago, I sprung for the LV shooting plane and I adore it. My 62 has a toothing iron installed in it now. I switch back to the original iron if I have a bunch of end grain to dress but never really use it to shoot any more.

Quote Originally Posted by steven c newman View Post
    Yes, I have the Wood River No. 62...and ..NO, I do not use a shooting board....
    What's this no shooting board thing!! You must be really really good with a saw.

A Planer? I'm the Planer, and this is what I use

Well, that's one way to do it :-)

Rob Cosmon just posted a YT video about the 8 Tools Not to Buy.

He listed the #62 as one of them. Why? He says that the #62 doesn't have enough of a side to use as a shooting plane. He prefers his 5 1/2. Since he doesn't shoot with it, he really doesn't have a use for it.

I'm just the messenger. But since I got a LV Shooting Plane in their Seconds Sale, I don't think I've reached for my LV LA Jack.

I don’t use mine nearly as much. Sometimes I want the lightness and simplicity and reach for it.