Thread: Question about Silver maple

Question about Silver maple

I have a neighbor cutting their silver maple tree down and I never say no to free wood but was curious how it turns. I’ve done a search but it seems there’s a lot of variation (described as plain to figured/curly). I know it’s a soft maple but not sure what that means for bowls/hollow forms.

I’d be interested in other turners thoughts and experiences with SM.

Thanks,
    Tom

I have turned a lot of soft maple, including silver maple, and find that it turns very well and often has more figure than hard maple typically has. Sharp tools are a must, but that should be the case with any wood.

Left click my name for homepage link.

One of my favourites to turn. I would take all I can get!
    Pete

* It's better to be a lion for a day than a sheep for life - Sister Elizabeth Kenny *
    I think this equates nicely to wood turning as well . . . . .

The silver maples out here grow very fast, and a 30 year old tree can be 30 inch diameter on the stump. Then they start to fall apart. The wood can be beautiful, and does spalt nicely. One thing I noticed with all maple out here in Oregon, is that the wood is bright and shiny for the first month or so after you cut it, then it goes kind of dull. Best guess is that the sugar in it starts to mold or speeds up the rotting process, which means the wood will lose its luster.

robo hippy

Thanks everyone. Great info.
    tom