Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Polishing cast iron saw top - marks go away? Wasting time?

burgandy scotchbrite pushed onto a wire wheel and wax after. That is how Jack did it and it works well. Sure there are tons of marks on my stuff dont even notice it just that its smooth.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Germain View Post
    Well, it is a very solid and very flat surface. And not everyone has room for a large assembly table. Maybe use a protective cover in the future?
    Solution would be to get an overhead crown guard, which would likely hide the upset,
    A swinging or telescopic overhead system would allow for... a big sheet of some composite like UMHW, or Formica like stuff, not something over half inch thick for handiness sake.

All the best
    Tom

I have 1/4 tempered hard board on all my exposed cast iron surfaces. Keeps the rust off in general, and for these sorts of things.
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Coers View Post
    If you didn't mind using a Saw Stop without a covering as a glue table, I'm surprised you care about the spots now.
    This is the logic trap I keep getting caught in with this thread…glad I’m not the only one.
    Still waters run deep.

If is smooth and flat, I wouldn't mess with it. I used to care but I wNt to get work done. I get occasional rust spots. I scrape othe rust spots and polish with grey scotchbrite pads on an orbital. I have in the past used Barkeepers friend to turn black rust spots lighter. It actually turned them lighter then the rest of the table. You could try making a slurry for the entire top then when you wipe off polish with a scotchbrite and seal with wax. Flat smooth and slick is the only thing matters. Stay away from the sandpaper.

FINGER LAKES AREA , CENTRAL NEW YORK STATE
    The picture here is my Sears saw purchased in 1972.
    I have used over the years barkeepers friend
    https://www.webstaurantstore.com/bar...SABEgJL7PD_BwE

With it I have pretty successful in removing stains. Over the years it has worked on water stains, sweat stains glue stains and some stains I don't even know .
    Given the basic price of a few dollars it is an easy opportunity to try . Be sure to wax well after a good cleaning to remove any residue from the barkeepers.
    calabrese55

https://www.google.com/search?q=bark...t=gws-wiz-serp

saw top.jpg
    Let your hands tell the story of the passion in your heart

We like Barkeepers Friend too. Paul Harvey told me about it. It’s made of some kind of soft rock ….but gets no play on radio .
    Doesn’t scratch stuff like some of the other products. I think that if Comet was used of Mount Rushmore a few times Washington’s nose
    would be gone.

I think some people find soft Rock kind of abrasive.