Thread: Special Tool Rehab Project

Special Tool Rehab Project

These tools belonged to my father. They aren't known as high quality, but my dad was not a strong woodworker. I think they were all bought between 1941 and 1950 from Sears. They are not the top Craftsman line, but the lower quality Dunlop and Jackson tools. My grandfather painted all his garden tools chartreuse green for identification and my dan decided to paint his red. He didn't spend much time painting and was just putting color on. Over the years they all got rusty. I inherited them after he died in 2000. Put them away until now. Decided to rehab them for one of his grandkids. So, I cleaned, polished, nickel plated, and painted them. As you will see, I used the red paint more as a detail. I hope it looks respectful. Tool info: The saw is a Jackson 14" Cast Steel, the plane is not marked except 107-16, Made in USA on the body. The spokeshave is a Dunlop.

GTB Tools Before 1.jpg

GTB Tools After 1.jpg

Very nice job of bringing them back. I hope your grandkids learn to use them.

Blog Entries
    Excellent work. I'm sure they will be appreciated as long as you help them learn how to use them and make things. Who knows, you could plant a new woodworker.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Looks good! BTW: Brand Name that Sears used was Dunlap, named after the guy that purchased tools for Sears to sell...

About got this drill done...
    Thurs. Shoptime, GP Gears.JPG
    Goodell Pratt Co. No. 5-1/2B...2 speed drill....15-1/2" LONG...
    A Planer? I'm the Planer, and this is what I use

I have a Jackson Tenon saw 10 ppi and it cuts just fine. Second level of Disston quality or not it is a fine saw.
    Dave Anderson

Chester, NH

Thanks all. I will probably end up giving them to my niece. She is a woodworker, but primarily power tools. I might be able to slowly convert her. Here is a picture of a restoration she did on her 1890's home. The bottom section of railing was gone. She wanted to match the rest. I ended up making the two different types of posts and a four-foot rail section. She did all the fitting and finishing. The picture is before finish.

railing installed before finish 2-20-23.jpg

Blog Entries
    Nice restorations Eric.

If the plane was purchased at Sears it is likely made by Millers falls.

From the Craftsman OEM List > 107 Millers Falls (Dunlap electric drills 25830 & 1345, drill stand 25630, and hand planes)

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Updated pictures of the railing my niece put together.

Rail Done 1.jpg

Rail Done 2.jpg

Nice design

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Brown View Post
    Updated pictures of the railing my niece put together.

Rail Done 1.jpg

Rail Done 2.jpg
    Pain to make though. The spindle with all the round balls was weak in the middle and I had to design a support for it on the lathe. The squarish spindle was also difficult. If you look closely at it there are 3/8" round "rods wrapped around the corners. Had to make a jig and used a shoulder plane to make the corner notch. The rail itself has a unusual shape (at least to me). Used the table saw to reduce the profile and then hand planes and sandpaper to finish. She asked for one 32" long, I gave her 40". She had to cut all to length and fit the blocks that went between spindles. She also mixed the finish to match the existing. I sent her a bunch of leftover pieces for her to experiment with. I'm proud of her.