Thread: Bits for cutting box joints

Bits for cutting box joints

I have a leigh RTJ400 and will use it to cut 3/8" box joints. They provide a straight bit but recommend using a spiral bit. I don't have a 3/8" spiral bit, but I do have a 1/4" spiral bit. Would it be a good idea to run a 1/4" bit through first and then the 3/8" straight bit. It seems to me that hogging the wood out first will allow the straight bit to do a better job... but what do I know.

.375" spiral bits are very easy to come by and are not expensive. The biggest challenge is accomodating a .375" shank, but 3/8" collets are available for some routers. I see no issue with what you propose to relieve material before the final cut. You'll likely still get a better quality result with a spiral cutter for the final, however.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    .375" spiral bits are very easy to come by and are not expensive. The biggest challenge is accomodating a .375" shank, but 3/8" collets are available for some routers. I see no issue with what you propose to relieve material before the final cut. You'll likely still get a better quality result with a spiral cutter for the final, however.
    Whiteside has 3/8" spiral bits with 1/2" shanks.
    Chris

Yea, true. I now have a "CNC" mind and generally buy and think of tooling differently sometimes. Thanks for the little hint back to reality.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

It might help to reduce the waste with the 1/4 bit but as always, it depends.
    The spiral bit is recommenced for the finish it leaves, using a straight bit afterwards eliminates that benefit. It may end up being more trouble than it's worth to do two passes.

Fastest cutter for hogging out is a ‘single flute’ bit . Not spiral.

Just curious, but why not just buy an up cut spiral bit ? You can get a good carbide Whiteside one for under 40 bucks delivered on Amazon.
    I just ordered a Whiteside 3/16" carbide up cut for 22 bucks get in 2 days (unfortunately) hard to beat Amazon.
    But than again depending on wood type & router speed your straight bit may do fine.

Quote Originally Posted by lou Brava View Post
    Just curious, but why not just buy an up cut spiral bit ? You can get a good carbide Whiteside one for under 40 bucks delivered on Amazon.
    I just ordered a Whiteside 3/16" carbide up cut for 22 bucks get in 2 days (unfortunately) hard to beat Amazon.
    But than again depending on wood type & router speed your straight bit may do fine.
    I am making them to donate to a charity auction. I might not ever use the bit again. It is tough to spend $40 just to make stuff to give away, when I can use what I have.

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Fulks View Post
    Fastest cutter for hogging out is a ‘single flute’ bit . Not spiral.
    I thought that was for corian, but okay, I actually have one.

Quote Originally Posted by Wade Lippman View Post
    I am making them to donate to a charity auction. I might not ever use the bit again. It is tough to spend $40 just to make stuff to give away, when I can use what I have.
    Got it, & Hats off to you for giving to your charity !

Wade,

When routing with 3/8" bits, check your manual. I don't have that jig, but you may need a special guide bushing. Leigh's eBushing is usually 5/8" so a 3/8" bit should work fine. High Speed Steel spiral upcuts are sharper than their carbide counterparts and are only $25 or so. The carbide ones are nearly 3x that price.
    Regards,

Tom

I didn't listen. I should have sprung for the spiral bit.
    But... had I followed my original plan, I would have made out better than I did.
    I have a 5/16" bit, so I used that instead of the 1/4" spiral. I shouldn't have. It didn't work well.
    However the second pass with the 3/8" was fine. So... I think if I had done the 1/4" spiral first, followed by the 3/8" straight, it would have worked.

My wife just looked at it, pre-glue and pre-filler, and thinks they looks great. So go figure. I see the absolute garbage sold for high prices at craft sales and wonder if I need to be a perfectionist.

Yes, Wade you should be a perfectionist. My work and my word is a reflection upon myself and my character. Make it as perfect as you can.
    Regards,

Tom