Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Holding and Positioning Your Dust Hood

Holding and Positioning Your Dust Hood

Well I’ve finally gotten around to building and installing a dust extraction system, after far too many years without. Now I need to figure out how to hold and position my ’gulp’ dust hood behind my lathe. That’s where you come in. Please show and describe for me (and the rest of us) what you use, how it’s attached, or not attached, to your lathe, and whether or not you’ve come up with any improvements or any “if I had it to do over again, I’d ……”

Thanks in advance for your help.
    Don't let it bring you down,
    It's only castles burning,
    Just find someone who's turning,
    And you will come around

Neil Young (with a little bit of emphasis added by me)

Board member, Gulf Coast Woodturners Association

One of my You Tube videos is Sanding hood for bowls. I took a 55 gallon food grade drum, cut about 1/3 off of it, and put plexiglass over the end so it is a hood that covers about 80% of the bowl. I sanded for 6 hours and no dust on my glasses or in my nose. Big gulp cups work also, but not as well. Lots of variations.

robo hippy

Thanks Reed. I’ve seen your hood. Possibly the largest dust hood around! I don’t think I have the room for a big drum behind my lathe.
    Don't let it bring you down,
    It's only castles burning,
    Just find someone who's turning,
    And you will come around

Neil Young (with a little bit of emphasis added by me)

Board member, Gulf Coast Woodturners Association

This is what I use, from Woodcraft.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Hayward View Post
    This is what I use, from Woodcraft.
    I use a similar adjustable post from grizzly. I used to have my hood attached to a hinged arm with a magnetic base but the magnet wasn’t quite strong enough and would occasionally move or fall. I like the sturdy post much better.

IMG_1834.jpeg

Tom

This thread prompted me to take a second look at Reed's dust hood, and although my set up works OK, I think I will invest a little time in making his hood but make it easily removable or turning. As he states in his video, wood dust causes a myriad of problems in your lungs and hardwood dust is known to be a carcinogen.

I bought the Woodturner Wonders track system. Easy to install and works well.
    https://woodturnerswonders.com/collections/lathe-track
    My Dad always told me "Can't Never Could".

SWE

I keep thinking about a French cleat system. 45 degree bevel on plywood cleat, and 45 degree bevel on a 'slider', and both surfaces waxed. Some sort of scissor type set up to extend it out and/or back....

robo hippy

I use the Big Gulp from Busy Bee tools https://www.busybeetools.com/product...in-x-16in.html It's simple and works well. I screwed a piece of wood on the underside and used a Forstner bit to drill 3 holes to glue in 3 rare earth magnets approx. 1" diameter. I covered them with painters tape so they wouldn't scratch the lathe bed. I position it on the lathe depending on what size of bowl I'm turning. Holds in place very well.

Dust Hood1.jpg Dust Hood2.jpg

Also use the system from Woodturners Wonders however I did not go with the track itself as I have mounting points for my other gear on the lathe itself. I just clamp the system to the underside of the lathe bed and it causes no interference as I went with the longer length so the 'arms' arch around where the tailstock slides.

I cut a hole in the workbench and screwed a big gulp from the bottom. The dust shield directs "most" of the chips down and out the dustshield.jpgdust collector
    Ask a woodworker to "make your bed" and he/she makes a bed.

This is what I made for my lathe. The end is a bell mouthed hood which is extremely good for sucking the dust.

IMG_20181115_1711419_rewind.jpg

This is what I came up with.PXL_20231111_151701656.jpg

OK, I know I'll get heat for a clean shop--we just got back from a little trip and I had cleaned up before we left. It will have chips on the floor shortly.

This is a work in process, needs a few refinements here and there.
    It slides back and forth on a repurposed pocket door slide.
    It adjusts up and down by loosening the hand wheel.
    It adjusts in and out with a threaded rod in an oversize hole, when it's located in the position I angle the rod to lock it in place.
    The hood itself rotates on an el-cheapo flat screen tv rotating mount that was $20 something from Amazoo, vertical for bowls, horizontal for spindles.
    I have it hooked to a Dewalt DWV010 8 gallon HEPA vac with replaceable bag and auto filter cleaning. I can easily switch to the 2hp Grizzly cyclone if the need arises--haven't done so as yet.

Gary

20231111_110032_resized.jpg20231111_110114_resized.jpg20231111_105829_resized.jpg
    I've only had one...in dog beers.

I like what you did but can't figure out what keeps the bowl blank from contacting the Big Gulp? What am I missing?