Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Holding and Positioning Your Dust Hood

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Hipp View Post
    I like what you did but can't figure out what keeps the bowl blank from contacting the Big Gulp? What am I missing?
    Jim,
    Here's a couple more pics-- the all thread slides in an oversized hole so the hood can be positioned at any location perpendicular to the lathe bed. When the hood isn't needed just release the threaded rod to let the hood hang straight down from the door slide. You can see the rod is in different positions in each photo.

The hood adjusts infinitely in three directions: Parallel to the bed it moves the full length, plus a little, perpendicular it adjusts from the spindle to about 15" away and vertically there's WAY more movement than I'll ever need.

20231112_065150_resized.jpg20231112_065221_resized.jpg

Hope this helps, Gary
    I've only had one...in dog beers.

That helps a lot! Thanks.

This is the setup I have for dust collection at my lathe. I would prefer something more like what Ronald Kanne uses, which consists of rigid flexible duct like Loc-Line and a small diameter funnel. Unfortunately I can't find any of this type hose in 4". Loc-Line's larges'st size hose is 2-1/2". The advantage with Kannes' setup is it doesn't have to me removed while turning like mine. It just has to be moved out of the way.
    Woodworking 004.jpgWoodworking 005.jpg

I bought the track and the lamp bracket from Woodturners Wonders. I mounted a shop made plate to the lamp holder and mounted a gooseneck I had from an old lamp to that. A dust scoop is attached to the business end. It's not as nice as the unit Ken sells on Woodturners Wonders but it works.

DustMountPlate.jpgDustHood+Gooseneck.jpgDustHoodFront.jpg
    RD

Steve, are you looking for something like this?

https://www.rockler.com/rockler-4-di...xtends-to-21-l
    Don't let it bring you down,
    It's only castles burning,
    Just find someone who's turning,
    And you will come around

Neil Young (with a little bit of emphasis added by me)

Board member, Gulf Coast Woodturners Association

Quote Originally Posted by Walter Mooney View Post
    Steve, are you looking for something like this?

https://www.rockler.com/rockler-4-di...xtends-to-21-l
    No, that's just flexible hose. This is what I had in mind but can't find it in 4".
    https://www.amazon.com/Loc-Line-Comp...oaAvwWEALw_wcB

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Hayward View Post
    This is what I use, from Woodcraft.
    How did you adapt the stand to fit the dust shroud shown? I have one of the big b\gulp shrouds but the end toward the dust collector is almost exact size as the end on the stand coupler.
    Thanks
    Denny

Always try to be the best but, never think you are the best.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Wilson80 View Post
    I use a similar adjustable post from grizzly. I used to have my hood attached to a hinged arm with a magnetic base but the magnet wasn’t quite strong enough and would occasionally move or fall. I like the sturdy post much better.

Attachment 509641

Tom
    How did you adapt the shroud to the stand. I have the grizzly stand but as I mentioned above, the shroud and stand have almost the same OD and ID and do not slide together. Was thinking about using a piece of hose but, I don't think that has a chance because the hose is droopy.
    Denny

Quote Originally Posted by Denny Nebgen View Post
    How did you adapt the shroud to the stand. I have the grizzly stand but as I mentioned above, the shroud and stand have almost the same OD and ID and do not slide together. Was thinking about using a piece of hose but, I don't think that has a chance because the hose is droopy.
    What is the shroud?

Everything fit together seamlessly. My 4" hose fit right over the back of the stand without needing any adjustment.

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Denny Nebgen View Post
    How did you adapt the stand to fit the dust shroud shown? I have one of the big b\gulp shrouds but the end toward the dust collector is almost exact size as the end on the stand coupler.
    Thanks
    The back end of my gulp is also the same size as the stand tube. The setup came with a sleeve to join the two pieces.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Hayward View Post
    The back end of my gulp is also the same size as the stand tube. The setup came with a sleeve to join the two pieces.
    Mine did not come with that. Crap.
    Thanks
    Denny

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Wilson80 View Post
    What is the shroud?

Everything fit together seamlessly. My 4" hose fit right over the back of the stand without needing any adjustment.

Tom
    The big shroud that funnels the dust into the pipe.
    Denny

Based on other's recommendations here, I bought the one from Wood Turners Wonders. The base of the Jet 12-21 is curved so I lagged angle iron to the bench.
    IMG_1994.jpg