Thread: Clearance angle Veritas Custom with 40* frog

Clearance angle Veritas Custom with 40* frog

Automatically sharpened the blade for my LV Custom 5 1/2 to 35* rather than the 30* I’d been doing it at. I have the 40* frog in there. Will i run into a problem with having that little clearance angle?

Blog Entries
    My guess is it may depend on the wood you use.

It may cause more problems in softwood than hardwood.

The lowest clearance angle any plane Stanley made is 8º on their #98 & 99 (and #79) side rabbet planes.

Try it, if it is a problem you will know right away. Try it on thick and thin shavings.

jtk
    Last edited by Jim Koepke; 10-30-2023 at 2:11 AM.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    My guess is it may depend on the wood you use.

It may cause more problems in softwood than hardwood.

The lowest clearance angle any plane Stanley made has is 8º on their #98 & 99 (and #79) side rabbet planes.

Try it, if it is a problem you will know right away. Try it on thick and thin shavings.

jtk
    Tried it some this afternoon (moderate to thick shavings) and so far, so good.

Tony, 5 degrees of clearnce is about 2-3 degrees too little. The plane will cut as is until the bevel wears a little, and then will stop doing so prematurely compared with higher clearance angles. Keep in mind that bevels wear in both sides, and the wear bevel, although micro, will remove all clearance.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Cohen View Post
    Tony, 5 degrees of clearnce is about 2-3 degrees too little. The plane will cut as is until the bevel wears a little, and then will stop doing so prematurely compared with higher clearance angles. Keep in mind that bevels wear in both sides, and the wear bevel, although micro, will remove all clearance.

Regards from Perth

Derek
    I guess I’ll use it until it stops and either change the frog or try to go back to the original 30*.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Wilkins View Post
    I guess I’ll use it until it stops and either change the frog or try to go back to the original 30*.

Don't fix it till its broke

It’s able to quickly be adjusted for thick shavings and worked well for it…
    IMG_1101.jpegIMG_1105.jpeg

I have four basic kinds of planes - LN Bailey style, Both types of LV (custom and traditional), woodies, and one low angle Jack. Don’t know if it’s my brain damage/nerve issues, but some days I just get along well with one type of plane well. Today it was the LN with a pretty good run at the LV 5.5*. Conversely, some days I just can’t get along with a plane - like the last two times I tried my two woodies. Of course, woodies depend on the weather so much that could be it.

* would have been better but was taking a shaving probably a little thicker than I could push.