Thread: Router templates using scoring method

Router templates using scoring method

Hi!

This method is so simple, fast and accurate that it should be well known but looking around the internet that doesn't seem to be the case. Start with layouting the hole you want to have in the template, then make saw cuts partially through the template, just touching the inside of the layout lines. Remove most of the waste using jigsaw or bandsaw and finish up with a trim routing bit. Since I learned this method I use it for almost all templates, small tasks like hinge recessing template up to really large templates. One big advantage compared to for example festool mfs adjustable template (and clones) is that steps and angled lines is no problem, neither is large round in the corners. Four pics that describes the process quite well and final picture how finished template looks from other side, more info in the video. If you think the video is long I describe the method quite well in the first two minutes.

2023-10-30-20-43-41-110.jpg2023-10-30-20-43-50-438.jpg2023-10-30-20-44-02-187.jpg2023-10-30-20-44-12-637.jpg2023-10-30-21-23-47-635.jpg

Last edited by Ola Carmonius; 10-30-2023 at 4:40 PM.

That is VERY clever.

I'll keep that in mind..

Quite clever! Very well done sir!
    Don't let it bring you down,
    It's only castles burning,
    Just find someone who's turning,
    And you will come around

Neil Young (with a little bit of emphasis added by me)

Board member, Gulf Coast Woodturners Association

S.E. Tennessee ... just a bit North of Chattanooga
    The guy in this video shows a technique that is, in many instances faster, simpler, and just as accurate ...
    Watch it at the 32 minute mark ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OVb9VDUk6U4

Ola, I looked through your channel and found your Domino Joinery Table that you put out 3 years ago.
    I had been looking at the one by Veritas, but will be building your's instead. Thanks.
    It's never too late to have a happy childhood.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Wingard View Post
    The guy in this video shows a technique that is, in many instances faster, simpler, and just as accurate ...
    Watch it at the 32 minute mark ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OVb9VDUk6U4
    Works ok for single cut-outs with square corners but the method I showed is much more versatile and works for all kind of odd shapes.

I like it, BUT... he really needs a decent radial arm saw to speed up making the template!

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Schoenthal View Post
    Ola, I looked through your channel and found your Domino Joinery Table that you put out 3 years ago.
    I had been looking at the one by Veritas, but will be building your's instead. Thanks.
    Go ahead, well worth the effort and it's a quite simple build. Don't miss the seperate video about the fence flipper, it's a very nice to have feature.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Schuch View Post
    I like it, BUT... he really needs a decent radial arm saw to speed up making the template!
    I wouldn't say it's needed, all the scoring cuts are made in a few minutes even without a radial arm saw. But I agree it could speed up things a little for some templates, although a sliding miter saw where you can lock the height of the blade will be just as good or even better as long as the template is not to big. I don't own one of those but I mention it in the video.
    Last edited by Ola Carmonius; 11-07-2023 at 5:41 AM.