Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: dust deputy 2.5 vs. Dust deputy low profile

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Congiusti View Post
    I just started woodworking now that the weather is cooler. Too hot in my garage during the summer. I was sanding about 6 boards and then noticed the suction was down. I took the vacuum apart and was surprised to see the filter so clogged. It never did that on my older one. The only time I had to empty it was when I forgot to empty the bucket. I need to write a review on Oneida.
    Do you think you would've had this issue if you were using bags? I know a lot of people don't use them, but I've always been a bag person since the beginning, and would think the clogging would be avoided, but then again% unknown. even if it was 80 or 90%, that is five or 10 buckets for every bag Is a win in my books. and my workbench has lots of room under, and the rest of the shop is pretty small.

This unit attaches to a 5 gallon bucket that is sitting on top of the vacuum. I made a stand for this. I don't think adding a bag will help. It's just a poor design.

On a separate note, after answering the op's question it reminded me to leave a review on Oneida website. I simply gave the facts about my experence. I recieved an email asking me to verify that I wrote the review. I responded to the link. I checked today and my review has not posted. I hope Oneida is not sensoring bad reviews. I would be highly disappointed. In my old house they designed my 3hp unit and duct work that worked without an issue. That was 20 years ago.

Update.

I received an email today from Oneida concerning my review. It seems my lid is missing a plug that goes on the inlet. They are sending me one and they asked for me to reply back to see if it makes a difference. If it does I will re-wrie my review.

Update.

I received an email today from Oneida concerning my review. It seems my lid is missing a plug that goes on the inlet. They are sending me one and they asked for me to reply back to see if it makes a difference. If it does I will re-wrie my review.
    I would love to hear the result. hopefully that made the difference.

Cyclones are designed to work best at specific CFMs. Exceed that and they won't work well. No surprise I hope.

Each device (cyclone, filter, length of hose, fitting, etc) causes a pressure drop which varies with CFM.

A system designed using these factors is going to work as designed which gives the nod to a complete package from Oneida or others. A shop vac is such a system on it's own. Just sticking random devices into a system may not work out.

After installing the missing plug, it did not work any better. Oneida asked me to take some pics of my unit. After reviewing my pics, they had an issue with the gasket seal on the unit. It was a two-piece system that went on the bottom and side. The new gasket they sent me was one piece and was much easier to install. After sanding for 20 minutes using 60 and 120 as a test, I found just a lite dusting in the bottom of the vacuum and the filter was clean. So, I’m amending my D- to a B+ for the following reason. When I contacted Oneida, I suggested since this gasket is so critical it should be made out of neoprene and installed at the factory. Since you need to remove the cover often, the gasket material will fail sooner rather than later. Maybe the next gen.

I ordered this as soon as I saw the release. I guess mine was not fully assembled and they improved the gasket. I still think Oneida is the best and they worked well with me.

Thanks for the update Mike. What is common is that all products have issues or bad ones in the bunch. What is uncommon is companies taking care of you when it happens.

I recently purchased the low profile in June to replace the older version, which by the way, worked great. I never had to empty the vacuum or clean the filter. I wanted the lower profile that the new one offered. While the suction is good, it does a poor job keeping all the fine dust in the bin like the old one. I noticed yesterday that the suction was down. I took the top off the vacuum and my HEPA filter was clogged and there was about an inch of dust/debris in the bottom. The low profile in my opinion gets a D-.
    You might want to give them a call. It seems some got shipped missing a plug. If you look in the top, you should see a black plug. If you don't that is probably why dust is passing into the bucket.