Thread: "Spool" Cabinet , FINALLY Finsihed

"Spool" Cabinet , FINALLY Finsihed

Well, it has taken me three years, but I've finally finished my spool cabinet. A huge thank you to all the folks that replied to my various threads along the way each time I had a question.

PXL_20231017_153428668.jpgPXL_20231017_153419544.jpg

So, I don't know what type of wood it is made from, but all the "show" parts of it are made from old boards reclaimed from our home when we renovated. The home is circa 1838, in NW PA. Most of the wood had cut nails in it that I located and removed prior to milling. It was dyed and pre-finished with Performance Top Coat. I then assembled the carcase and applied two more coats of finish. The six drawers, which I failed to photograph, are made from new maple with box joint corners and fitted to the carcase.

It isn't much compared to some of the beautiful things I see posted here, but I'm still happy with the way it turned out and love that it is from our home.

Very nice LJ done. How did you do the inside of the drawers to hold thread?

Larry, I'm using it as an end table so the drawers don't have anything special inside.

Lisa, I'm also happy with the way it turned out The crystal knobs, the figure in the wood...it says old and new at the same time.

Blog Entries
    Very nice cabinet. I like the adjacent grain on the middle two drawers. The wood has interesting grain. If the home was built in 1828, the lumber was likely local. It could be chestnut, it was used for a lot of construction in the time frame and was common in this area. My grandparents barn in Harborcreek had some chestnut beams.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Nice work ,Lisa. Love the big diamonds !

Congrats on finishing the project. That’s a fine looking table with good proportions. I too like the grain and the pulls.
    "You can observe a lot just by watching."
    --Yogi Berra

Looks great. I like that the reclaimed wood is going back into the home.

Looks great, I'm sure it will be a part of your home for years to come.

Oh my, I remember your first post so many years ago. Congrats on finishing. It looks fantastic!

Very nice! Love the color, too!
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Very clean looking piece. Nice work!

Blog Entries
    Well done! I’m guessing the story of this cabinet’s origin will be passed down , along with the cabinet, for generations. Look forward to seeing more of your work.