Thread: Finally finishing up a 4 year old project.

Finally finishing up a 4 year old project.

We had a guest cottage built about 5 years ago. 500 square feet with a living room bedroom and bath, and room for a tiny kitchenette in the hallway. I put a basic sink and counter in as a temporary kitchen cabinet while I was going to build the permanent one.

The grand daughter moved right out of her bedroom upstairs and into the cottage. She stayed there three years and moved out almost two years ago when she bought her own house. In the meantime, I had made up all the parts for a 6 or 7' long cabinet with 9 drawers, a couple hinged doors and a real sink. That's real if you think a little bar sink works as both bath and kitchen sink.

Anyway, all the parts were cut up and got shoved aside when other things needed doing. Today, I dug them out and started to finally assemble them. It's been so long, I don't even have the plans I made. Must have needed the napkin for something else. The face frame was all assembled and all seven upright panels were cut, pocket holed, biscuit joint spots slotted, and PROPERLY MARKED for placement and assembly.

For once in my life I restarted a project without having to figure out what I was doing in the first place, and I got that sucker mostly put together this afternoon. I hope to finish the basic cabinet tomorrow, and get started on making the doors, drawers, and drawer fronts. The base to place it on was also done years ago, and just needs modifications for some changes.

Originally, we were going to put a granite top on it, but I have some very fancy lumpy black formica that will go well with the room and the little bar sink. The cabinet is red oak, raised panels, etc.

Lets face it. I am getting old and lazy, and was telling my wife at lunch that I needed to get off my butt and get more work done. Surprisingly she agreed with me.

Last weeks project was to get my '55 T-Bird up and running after three years of non use. The seat has been out and completely stripped down mechanically since April and I got the power seat working, reassembled, and installed with the G-daughters boyfriend's help. Then managed to get the transmission adjusted properly without burning it up.

Progress. We will see how long it lasts.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

Good work! It would probably take me that long just to find all the pieces.

Always feels good to finish a dormant project.

John

Blog Entries
    Keep up the good work Rick! Your cottage sounds really neat. That cabinet will be a very nice addition. 55 T Bird! Wow! I hope you get to take Jerry Seinfeld out for coffee. Regarding delayed projects, I often borrow a quote from Sally Field's character in the movie Hello My Name Is Doris. There is an argument scene that ends with Doris being chastised for having 20 year old duck sauce packets in her fridge. "IT KEEPS!" Doris yells.
    Best Regards, Maurice

I think that many of us have "that one project" (or three) that for whatever reason have languished for long periods of time. I have one project that I started in...2003...that remains in the queue and I hope I can get back to it soon now that I have the new shop and a lot more time than I did way back then. I also have tools/techniques I didn't have at that point, either.

The cottage sounds like a great opportunity to have a good time and end up with a pleasing result. Keep it going!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I started a tool box in the '90s, & got as far as cutting 1/2 of the dovetails.

Finished it a year or two ago. The pieces were moved to seven different shops.

IMG_3373.jpeg

Looks like it will come in handy! Better late than never!

Don't make it too nice Rick. Your wife might move out there and tell you to cook your own dinner.

Rick, there’s coincidence in the air.

I designed a cherry cabinet and began the build four years ago. It’s probably 90% finished. I “just” need to install the knife hinges on the doors and frame and assemble and oil the piece. For some reason I stalled once all the parts were cut and some panels finished. So I need to get that moving again.

But wait: more coincidence awaits. See my other thread, “A first for me,” about the cottage kitchenette I’m about to build.

(Sorry this is confusing. I had the other post written, but then decided not to hijack your thread, so I moved my story to its own thread. I notice you already commented on it before I moved it.)
    Last edited by Bob Jones 5443; 11-11-2023 at 11:39 PM.

Well Bob,

All I can say is that I hope you are faster than me finishing your projects.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.