Thread: Closed Threads

Closed Threads

I see the thread on safe's was locked down. This one didn't even get the "customary warning" to not get into the weeds. Which from what I could see it hadn't. What gives?

I can't answer that officially but if this were a gun forum it had about reached the point where someone usually suggests you get out the popcorn and watch the fray. It had sorta strayed off-topic. Interesting, though.

Ronald,

That post was obviously getting heated, very political, and had drifted far away from the original topic.

For the record, I am a gun owner, but I avoid those types of threads. I doubt a warning would have accomplished anything.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Just read the thread, if that is the definition of getting heated or political I didn't see it. Maybe a little off topic but it was in the "Off Topic" section. I was pleasantly surprised that most had a healthy attitude.

Doug, if you don't think promoting guns for personal protection isn't political, you don't see the same discussions I see. I am a gun owner, have hunted since my age was in the single digits. I have shot benchrest rifle competition, pistol silhouette and the last 8 months of my 8 years of active duty served on a security team who guarded nuclear weapons that we stored and repaired aboard the USN ship of which I was a crew member. I am not an anti-gunner. But those discussions don't belong on a woodworking and associated hobbies/businesses. They are political.

BTW, I read the thread.
    Ken

Ken, I'll accept your definition of what's political is more in line with the mainstream in the US and this forum. Up here on another woodworking forum off topic section, we had a discussion a while back on gun control that went on for several weeks and never got out of control. There were a few posts deleted as I recall but the thread was never shut down.

IMO, it had remained civil but the latter posts seemed to be getting a bit more pointed and I think it would only been a little time and it would have become much more political or worse.
    Doug, the gun control topic is a lot more contentious for our friends south of us.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Howatt View Post
    IMO, it had remained civil but the latter posts seemed to be getting a bit more pointed and I think it would only been a little time and it would have become much more political or worse.
    Doug, the gun control topic is a lot more contentious for our friends south of us.
    Agree but until they can discuss it in a civilized way it won't change.

I guess I'm the guilty party so apologies. But I can also assure the board, I do not ever, and would not in this case, have engaged in any escalation.

Proper commas? I think...

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Zellers View Post
    I guess I'm the guilty party so apologies. But I can also assure the board, I do not ever, and would not in this case, have engaged in any escalation.

I believe the first comma after the word “board” is unnecessary. Kudos on the apostrophe though.
    My three favorite things are the Oxford comma, irony and missed opportunities

The problem with humanity is: we have paleolithic emotions; medieval institutions; and God-like technology. Edward O. Wilson

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Zellers View Post

No apologies necessary Dave.
    Ken

Use too many commas and they will fall off the paper and land on your toes. Making you comatose.
    BilL D

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    Use too many commas and they will fall off the paper and land on your toes. Making you comatose.
    BilL D
    I did question that first one. I think I knew better but did it anyway.

Over commaing runs in the family.