Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Quality of Jorgensen Parallel Bar Clamps?

Quality of Jorgensen Parallel Bar Clamps?

I'm curious if anyone has experience and opinions about the Jorgensen Parallel clamps sold through Lowes. They lowered the prices and a 24" clamp is now $30. Bessey REVO clamps are also on sale at LV but are still $42 for a 24" clamp. Has anyone had any issues with the Jorgensen clamps?

They work fine. The only "issue" I have with them is that you have to be careful in what orientation you pick them up or the slide will go down the bar on its own and slam all the way to the end.

I have a lot of them since Menards had them periodically on sale for 50% off (unfortunately they don't do that any longer). I only have older Besseys and the Jorgensen are working similarly well So I think buying what you can get cheaper makes sense. For pretty much any other F-clamp I am a Bessey fan and am willing to pay a premium. However, what Tom says is true: it really hurts when you grip a Jorgensen parallel clamp by the rail and the jaws slam down on your hand. On the other (uninjured ;-) hand, PVA glue is easier to clean off the smooth Jorgensen rails.

Before investing a small fortune into clamps I looked at the Jorgensen parallel clamps. They felt like they bowed pretty easy with a 24" board with moderate clamping compared to the Bessey. The whole chomping your hand thing is real too as I've seen in some YouTube reviews. Overall they seem decent though and I'm sure would do the job. That said, I bought stock in a pile of REVO clamps and I haven't regretted it. I have 8 12", 20 24", 10 42" and 6 52" and 8 6" gear glamps (great for pane edge glue-ups) and 12 one-handed clamps 6"/12" . I dispel the adage of you can't have enough clamps...I feel it's enough.

Some of the additional accessories they have are great too. I recently finished a 7'-8" dresser and being able to join two clamps was awesome.

As far as glue goes, I recommend taping sections where the seam meets the clamp bar. You don't have to tape the whole bar, just where the glue seam is.

Quote Originally Posted by Johannes Becker View Post
    However, what Tom says is true: it really hurts when you grip a Jorgensen parallel clamp by the rail and the jaws slam down on your hand. On the other (uninjured ;-) hand, PVA glue is easier to clean off the smooth Jorgensen rails.
    That gave me a chuckle! TY

I'm partial to Dubuque Clamps, light weight and never failed me.
    Regards,

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Burnside View Post
    As far as glue goes, I recommend taping sections where the seam meets the clamp bar. You don't have to tape the whole bar, just where the glue seam is.
    Excellent advice. I usually don't and therefore have some stubborn clamps.

I have and use Jorgesen parallel clamps. My only complaint with the newer ones sold at Lowe’s they seem lighter weight then my older ones. I have a couple besseys that are good they sit at a different height then the Jorgensen so they don’t get used as much.
    Good Luck
    Aj

Quote Originally Posted by Tom M King View Post
    They work fine. The only "issue" I have with them is that you have to be careful in what orientation you pick them up or the slide will go down the bar on its own and slam all the way to the end.
    Ditto. Good clamps, but watch your hands. They can bite!

I've used the 6ft'ers for years and happy with them. Brian
    Brian

Thank you for the tip. I ordered a few from Lowes. This is a great price.

I have Jorgensen F clamps and one-handed medium duty clamps and I am pleased with the quality. I suspect no less from the cabinet clamps.

I looked at the Jorgensen parallel clamps last year during the Thanksgiving sales. Some of the fixed heads were perpendicular to the bar, others canted towards the movable head by a couple of degrees or so. It might have been a batch issue, ymmv. It may not be a practical issue, but you may want to put a square to head to know what you have. TWW has a video regarding this. I changed direction and went with the Dubuque clamps.
    Last edited by Mike Soaper; 11-02-2023 at 10:41 PM.
    Hobbyist woodworker
    Maryland

I bit the bullet and bought the Bessey Revo clamps bit-by-bit when my local Rockler would have a 20% off sale. The have a 6mm Alan socket in the end of the handle and I use that a fair amount to add clamping pressure. I have a bunch of the older Bessey clamps, also, and still use those.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas McCurnin View Post
    I'm partial to Dubuque Clamps, light weight and never failed me.

Well said, I have some and will buy more when I get more shop money.
    Ron

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Hughes View Post
    I have and use Jorgesen parallel clamps. My only complaint with the newer ones sold at Lowe’s they seem lighter weight then my older ones. I have a couple besseys that are good they sit at a different height then the Jorgensen so they don’t get used as much.
    Good Luck
    Gone are the days when Jorgensen, Pony, and the other excellent Adjustable Clamp Company products were made in the USA.

Adjustable Clamp Company, est. 1903 - Made-in-Chicago Museum
    Last edited by Maurice Mcmurry; 11-03-2023 at 8:30 AM.