Thread: The dreaded VFD failure Jet1642

The dreaded VFD failure Jet1642

Hello all!!!!! After a long absence I'm afraid ya'll are going to have to put up with me again for a while.
    I don't know if y'all remember Ken Salisbury, but he was a great friend and I bought his lathe a little while before he passed away. Between Ken and I, we've worn down many many a gouge on this lathe. Last week I was turning some Xmas ornaments and the power blinked and surged. Yes, you know it.... Dead lathe. The tachometer or rpm gauge is lit up and reacts to hand turning the spindle... there's power to the plug.... the VFD is blank. Called Jet and the minor troubleshooting over the phone has lead to my belief that the inverter has inverted on itself. I've got Doc Greens site and I'll troubleshoot further and blowout and check the switch as well. I've been looking at turner sites and youtube and googling myself blind looking for options and or solutions. I'm an ER nurse so I'm not double E proficient but I do have an understanding between the difference of continuity and ohms. I got a meter. Wish me luck.
    So here are the questions if I have to round up another VFD...

If any of y'all have had to replace an inverter lately do you mind if I bother you for some help and details as to where to purchase and which item number at said purchase place? I've searched vfd007s11a and seem to find multiple options.

Buy another from Jet for 887 before shipping costs...
    Buy one from Radwell...
    Send mine to Radwell and repaired for 670 total cost..
    Buy one from Marshall Wolfe or DeltaAcDrive or the like for 250-300ish and install and program myself.
    another option... There was even a set of two on ebay.... one was a vfd007s11a with a vfd007s11b.
    Can i assume that the 11b is a newer model inverter?

Thank you all for your patience if you've taken the time to read all this and thank you so much in advance for any advice!!!

Brad
    The Country Toad Workshop Rogersville, Al

Cannot help you with your brand and model but can give advice. I have installed two VFD's on machines in my garage shop. I absolutely would not pay the inflated OEM price. If you have never installed and programmed one prior buy a VFD from someplace that offers technical help. It really is not difficult at all. After doing your first one you should be able to figure out future ones by yourself.

Robert makes an excellent point about getting support for your first adventure. If you search VFD in the box at the top of the page you will get a listing of a lot of posts from people asking similar questions and contain comments about the service from the seller. I'm pretty sure you will also get a lot of responses to this thread.
    I've never gone through this myself but my understanding is that even though there is an overwhelming number of programmable parameters, you only have to be concerned with a few and the rest are just fine in their default settings.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Howatt View Post
    Robert makes an excellent point about getting support for your first adventure. If you search VFD in the box at the top of the page you will get a listing of a lot of posts from people asking similar questions and contain comments about the service from the seller. I'm pretty sure you will also get a lot of responses to this thread.
    I've never gone through this myself but my understanding is that even though there is an overwhelming number of programmable parameters, you only have to be concerned with a few and the rest are just fine in their default settings.
    Thank you so much! I had searched vfd007s11a... I'll try the VFD and read some more. Y'all are great!

Every VFD comes with an extensive manual. It's not Voodoo to install one. A little reading will save you $500. It takes a lot of turning to sell something for that kind of money.

I'm not widely experienced with VFDs, only installed one on a drill press. What I learned is that the manual is fairly intimidating but I - and probably you won't need 90% of the functions discussed in the manual. I too bought my VFD from a localish source, Dealer's Electric in North Jersey. I didn't need any help but felt it would be there if I needed it. I paid more than from one of the online vendors but figured the peace of mind was worth something.

thank you all for the help and encouragement!
    i think i'm going to go for this one and i'll report back with success or failure! ha! https://deltaacdrives.com/delta-ms300-vfd4a8ms11ansaa/