Thread: Interesting clamp video

Interesting clamp video

For your perusal and discussion…
    https://youtu.be/lp0RSohlraM?si=Z81eZPKAi_mVH0VD

Blog Entries
    It was interesting. Everyone has an opinion. It's when they frame it as a definitive list that the presenters lose integrity. Even if they said "we only do Kitchen and Bath and these are the only clamps you need" or ""we never use sheet goods and these are the only clamps you need" they still missed a grip of them.

Maybe a title like "good clamp selection for starting out" or something like that could have been more appropriate since the discussion in the video when weighed against the title makes them all appear rather silly. I understand that people who make videos and want them to get watched have to use key words and phrases like "disrupting the industry" or "science is ignorant of my discovery" but . . . the only clamps you need? Not in my humble opinion . I hope they had fun making the video, limited in scope as it is.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Meh. Could be edited to 1/5 the time. Don't show their actual clamp selection. Covered less than half of commonly used woodworking clamps.

My .02:
    I have a ton of (well, hundreds of pounds) of Wexler clamps from 8" F ones to 5' bar. No longer made but will outlast me and the next two guys. Mostly bought years ago but occasional additions from Ebay.
    Pipe clamps- not perfect but get used a lot.
    Hand screws 4 different sizes.
    C clamps- dozens, many sizes. A couple of quick acting ones are handy at the drill press.
    Various Jorgenson- older are better.
    Various other brand F clamps
    Band clamps, hog rings, little Japanese, spring clamps, vice grip,etc. etc..
    Others- rubber bands, inner tubes, tape, cord w/ turnbar, go sticks, vacuum, weights, wedges, Destaco, jacks, holdfast, bench vice.
    Basically you need a lot of different types and sizes.

Have One Dubuque bar clamp- OK but I don't like that you have to turn the screw a lot.
    Recently got a few parallel clamps- free along with a tool purchase. Heavy, prone to sticky/stuck action, but the reach is useful on a current glue up.
    Quick grip- junk, have not gotten any to work. Why do folks even have these?

Video, not my cup of tea,
    As far as clamps, I have 1 less than I need at any given time

I have no problem with the Quick-Grips clamps, as long as you use them for pressure only, not for alignment.