Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Flattening the Neanderthal way….

A friend does some BIG slab tables. AFAIK, he uses nothing but card scrapers on the edges. I spent an hour or so playing on one of them. A ton of work, but remarkably relaxing.

Looks great! I agree that's a stunning slab. FWIW, as an alternative approach, I use a stiff wire brush on live edges to smooth out while leaving some texture and the natural contours on live edges. Will look forward to seeing it on legs.
    "You can observe a lot just by watching."
    --Yogi Berra

Well, she's all flat and smooth now. After a whole bunch of planing on both sides to true things up it was time to start sanding. While I wanted to adhere to a Neander approach and stick with Hand Work this is a whole bunch of wood. My solution was to carry it by hand, load it into the SUV by hand, drive it down the street to my neighbor's cabinet shop, and hand feed it through his 36" Wide Belt Sander a few times. I was pleased that it didn't take many passes. Some chowderhead had drilled some holes in it at one time and I need to plug those and epoxy fill a few small cracks and knotholes. Even with the warts it looks pretty nice. I'm confident it will hold a laptop, notepad, and lamp off the floor for my bride.

Sharp solves all manner of problems.

Blog Entries
    Wow Rob, that is a pretty piece of wood.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

A couple if days ago Alex, the son of a good friend, arrived with a Jarrah slab he plans to use in a bathroom. It was cupped and needed to be planed coplanar.

Scrub and jack planes ...

Made easier by he two if us planing at the same time. Plus, he just wanted it flat.

Regards from Perth

Derek

As I recall Jarrah is a pretty tough customer. Good thing you took a team approach.
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.