Thread: Can't Keep an Old Rust Hunter Down

Blog Entries

Can't Keep an Old Rust Hunter Down

Been a little inactive recently. A medical procedure has taken care of that and now things are getting much better.

Did a little rust hunting and found a few things that were just too hard to pass by.

October Rust Hunt.jpg

That is the second MF Langdon miter box to come home with me. It will likely end up with my grandson if he wants it. It was at a Habitat for Humanity Restore without a price tag. I joked with another rust hunter that if there isn't a price tag does that mean it is free? Someone behind the curtain must of heard us since someone with a name tag quickly appeared. He brought me back to the manager. We settled on $10, hard to turn down a useable miter box at that price.

The Stanley #5-1/4 and the draw knife were from a different store in Scappoose, Oregon.

The only reason the plane was purchased was because it was a type 18 #5-1/4. I've seen a few other type 18s, but mostly #4 & 5s that I have a bunch of already. The type 18 planes always catch my eye due to the knurling on the depth adjuster:

Detail Type 18 Depth Adjuster.jpg

This started in 1946 and lasted through 1947 according to the Rex Mill type study. I wiped it down, oiled the screw holes, made some adjustments and honed the blade. It works well.

The draw knife is stamped Palmer Meadville PA. It looks to have more surface rust than use. Just now found some information with Dr. Google.

I'm beginning to think I should find a Rust Hunters Anonymous Meeting.

jtk
    Last edited by Jim Koepke; 11-05-2023 at 11:12 PM. Reason: Added Images
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Very nice finds, Jim! Would love to come across a nice old quality miter box. Not sure where I would put it though. I'm about at the point where anything new coming in means something else has to go. And glad to hear you're on the mend.

Mike

Blog Entries
    Thank goodness for good medical help. It is great to see you back on the hunt. You sure find neat tools!
    Best Regards, Maurice

Better watch out, Jim...soon they will be calling YOU Bandit....instead of me....
    A Planer? I'm the Planer, and this is what I use

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by steven c newman View Post
    Better watch out, Jim...soon they will be calling YOU Bandit....instead of me....
    There has already been a much loved Bandit in the family. I think the only pictures of him are from before having a digital camera.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post

The only reason the plane was purchased was because it was a type 18 .........type 18 planes always catch my eye due to the knurling on the depth adjuster:

I'm beginning to think I should find a Rust Hunters Anonymous Meeting.
    The 18-step program, one would assume?
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

I find it interesting your reference to Rex Mill type study. This was my go to for all things stanley planes because of the pictures. I have not been able to access it since about 2020.. What I doing wrong?
    That is an interesting draw knife. I came across a James Swan folding handle drawknife a couple of years back. Got it an auction for $7, I was the only one who recognized the little bird. I cleaned up and sharpened easily. When I tried it out the grooves in the handles, which allow the easy folding, cut into the tips of my fingers, making trying to use it uncomfortable. It looked neat in the tool box but was useless to me, so I flogged it on fleabay. No room in my shop for a tool I can't use.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick C Daugherty View Post
    I find it interesting your reference to Rex Mill type study. This was my go to for all things stanley planes because of the pictures. I have not been able to access it since about 2020.. What I doing wrong?
    That is an interesting draw knife. I came across a James Swan folding handle drawknife a couple of years back. Got it an auction for $7, I was the only one who recognized the little bird. I cleaned up and sharpened easily. When I tried it out the grooves in the handles, which allow the easy folding, cut into the tips of my fingers, making trying to use it uncomfortable. It looked neat in the tool box but was useless to me, so I flogged it on fleabay. No room in my shop for a tool I can't use.
    There is a web archive of the Rex Mill Type Study here > https://web.archive.org/web/20191222...ing/typing.htm

I saved a copy of the type study on my computer. It loads a lot faster than the web archive. My recollection is it has been attached to an email and opened properly for the recipient. Otherwise you can probably save the web archive page and archive it on your own hard drive and backups.

I also saved a copy of the forerunner of the Rex Mill type study. Much of the same wording without the pictures. My recollection is it was put together by Roger Smith with updates by Patrick Leach.

There are some updates that haven't been added to the Rex Mill or many of the other type studies.

The threading on the depth adjuster was changed from right hand threads to left hand threads at the end of the type 6 years. There was also a different casting mark at this time.

Some early type 9 planes came with a patent date on the lateral adjuster. The castings also changed during the type 9 years.

Type 9 frogs and bases.jpg

The progression can be seen from left to right. The plane on the left is a #4, the second plane is a #6, pretty sure the third plane is a 5-1/2 and the last plane is a #4 all of them being from the type 9 years. There are changes at the base of the frog and in the hollow area for the lateral adjuster.

jtk

Jim, Thanks for the info on Red Mill, I had been looking for a while.

Pat D

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick C Daugherty View Post
    Jim, Thanks for the info on Red Mill, I had been looking for a while.

Pat D
    You are welcome Pat. You might consider making your own archive just incase it disappears some day.

jtk

Jim, do you know what happened to Johnny?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Hill View Post
    Jim, do you know what happened to Johnny?
    I do not. None of my searches have turned up anything definitive.

jtk

Blog Entries
    Had to go into town today for what is essentially a sonogram. There was enough time to go to one of many of my favorite antique malls. This one is in Kalama, WA. Candy and I were there a few weeks ago and I saw a brad point drill index that caught my eye. I've been kicking myself for not getting it.

Luckily, it was still there today.

Brad Point Drill Index.jpg

Sorry for the poor lighting, this was taken in the house and the lighting isn't as good as in the shop.

The box was a little mishandled, though easy to put back in shape. About five ot the smallest bits are either wrong replacements or missing.

It has sizes 1/16" to 1/2" by 64ths.

It cost less than a couple of bits have cost me in the past.

jtk