Thread: Rockler Router Bits

Rockler Router Bits

Who makes them? Are they worth buying?

Blog Entries
    I've not been impressed with Rockler brand router bits. I would suggest you check out the prices for Freud bits from Router Bit World. You'll get better results for the same price or less.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Blog Entries
    I have several Rockler bits. All were picked up for a few bucks during sales events and they are worth a few bucks. Rockler's current pricing puts them way too close to Whiteside or Freud who make some of the best bits you will come across. I'd spend a few bucks more and get a lot more use out of a better bit. I also have a few Woodcraft bits. They too were bought for about $5 each during clearance sales like the Rocklers. If the Rockler, Woodcraft, MLCS, or whatever were 60% of the cost of a Whiteside I would just buy the Whiteside IMHO.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

They are made in one of the factories in Asia, not sure which one but there are a couple that make decent router bits. As others said, for similar money go with a known good brand. Any bit is good in a pinch if you can go pick it up locally but if you have to order there are better options.

They are fine for incidental "I need that profile" type work the same as many house brand budget options from other retailers and options from Amazon, etc. For heavy and frequent use, I'd choose a known, name-brand piece of tooling. I tend to buy the Yoniko yellow tools off Amazon for this kind of incidental work 'cause free shipping and fast delivery.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    They are fine for incidental "I need that profile" type work the same as many house brand budget options from other retailers and options from Amazon, etc. For heavy and frequent use, I'd choose a known, name-brand piece of tooling. I tend to buy the Yoniko yellow tools off Amazon for this kind of incidental work 'cause free shipping and fast delivery.
    +1 more.
    They used to be okay for their price but now the price outweighs the quality..
    Like Jim, I test with Yoniko, once satisfied I'll usually buy Freud or Whiteside

I’m looking for a 35mm Forstner for cup hinges. Which would you get?

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Jones 5443 View Post
    I’m looking for a 35mm Forstner for cup hinges. Which would you get?
    Better to put this in a new thread.

I remember seeing a DIY TV program >10 years ago that had a story on router bits. They said that there were only two companies in the US that manufactured router bits, and that the main difference between the multiple brands they made was the color of paint. I dont know if thats still true or true at all but I always think of that when considering bits.

I liked to use Eagle-America bits for non-basic profiles. I thought they were good (USA) quality and a good price and selection.
    < insert spurious quote here >