Thread: H3D, High Difinition Tooling planer head

H3D, High Difinition Tooling planer head

This is an update to my previous post about problems with the H3D/Hermanance head I bought. I bought it for a PM225, got it in May and ran a test board. One half cut as I expected the other left a wash board type finish every 13/16 of an inch for 12 inches. After dealing with them for over a month they had a sales rep stop. I showed the sales rep when he came how the cutters rotate in the pockets on the screws. I was surprised when he said remove it and he would take with him. Over a month later they call and say it is in tolerance, I disagree. The head is in OH and they ask for another week to send to NC. I agree, after a week I call NC it has not made it there. I file complaints, Discover Credit card, BBB, PA NC and OH Attorney General offices, the local District Justice. In October I have a hearing with the District Justice, the H3D owner is there. Owner claims .0015 is acceptable I call it out in front of the judge that I have .0026", he now claims .005 to .007 of an inch is a problem. I had a sample planed from a North Tech planer, it supports the cutter on 3 sides also. The sample is good compared to mine and the inserts do not rotate. A week later she rules against me. In her defense I gave her to much information and I wanted to write a check to the owner for a used car after listening to him, a real sales man. A couple days ago Discover came through and closed the case in my favor, my money returned and removed from them.

They have to make some good products but my head was not one of them. I had to retap the holes on the bad half of the head also. My planer has been without a head for 4 months now. Buyer beware.

The owner flew to OH to defend his head in front of a judge? Man I would have just issued credit and chalked it up to the cost of doing business.

I've dealt with Matt at Hermance before the sale and sold some of their heads, great guy and awesome product. Spoke to H3D at IWF and they were not ready for primetime yet, think I'll stick to Byrd.

No their main plant is in OH and I think he resides there. He drove to PA for the hearing, claiming how strongly he feels about their head. I felt like telling him he should spend time rewriting the programs so the inserts to not rotate. The way they rotated in the head the screw is doing all the work holding it. But it is in tolerance.

So a week after Discover closed the complaint in my favor H3D emails and says they want to drop off the head and me pay for it. I declined and have heard no more from them. If they would have dropped it off after the court ruling I would have had to take it and Discover may have sided with them.

A few days after Discover closed the case I ordered a head from Hong Dar Knife Mfg. I ordered a P05 head made to my drawing. I was told 10-15 days from payment clearing to shipping. It took 27 days. Shipped by or to DHL what a joke they are, took 10 days for a 6 hour ride. It came in damaged slightly DHL says not packed well, it went back and forth between OH an PA twice but it was damaged on the plane?

All in all avoid the Helix head from H3D. They say in tolerance I say BS. The last head was cheaper and the finish feels like glass. If held up to a light there are ghost lines. I am very pleased with Kong Dar head, 27 days no biggie. DHL, read their reviews. I give em 1 star. I wish I had never heard of H3D, and their company name means nothing to them.

I hope this review helps someone. I type with 1 finger so this took a while.
    Last edited by Tom Yaegle; 12-18-2023 at 8:53 PM.

cant open the attachment but interested in the story as all of us face different levels of quality and service. Ive been scammed twice by schools but there are too many that are stupid. Im still on high speed steel and fine as its what I learned on. As far as typing with one finger where did the other fingers go.

Buy a Tersa or Terminus and never look back..........

I really wish I'd bought a Tersa...as many of you know I've been through the same drama, over 2.5 years of it, with my head from Hermance / H3D.

And it continues.

There's a new guy in charge at Hermance. He's interested in helping make things right for me. Slow to get back with me, but at least he's trying. Will see if anything comes of it.
    JonathanJungDesign.com

Not sure why the pics will not open, they do for me.

I wanted a spiral cutter head and not seeing that with Tersa and Terminus. I am glad to be looking forward, H3D is in the past.

Jonathan, Glad to hear things are looking better. I am sorry to say after meeting the H3D owner in person your satisfaction seems unlikely. With Hermance on your side maybe? Every thing is in tolerance with H3D less than 5-7 thousandth step, it is ok per owner.

I have samples from a Northtech planer (supports the insert on 3 sides like the Hermance), a Laguna planer and a Grizzly planer. My head from over seas leaves a better finish than all of them. That being said my knives are new and the Griz and Northtech may have needed rotated. The Laguna left scallops so maybe switch insert shape? I have no steps and it feels smooth. Also the 8 month wait was not necessary.

I guess the pics will not open now, not sure what I messed up. Try again?100_2286.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Yaegle View Post
    I guess the pics will not open now, not sure what I messed up. Try again?100_2286.jpg
    Is that the head your having issues with. I saw one at a machinery dealer out near me. I heard it was called a magnum head somewhere out if Canada?
    I do like that design better then a bryd because the insert are facing forward.
    Heres a pic I have.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Aj

General international called their version of it a magnum. The only companies that I know that still use this style of cutters are Cantek, Kms Tools house brand Magnum Industrial and Normand's Steel City in Canada.

Andrew, No the head I had problems with looked like this.IMG_3657.JPG This is a 20" and mine was a 24".

The head I showed is my latest and last head. It is from Hong Dar Knife Mfg. I had some a cherry slab I sawed 3 1/2" and my mill is down for the winter so I planed off 2" to make book shelves. It did a great job, with the straight knives I would normally raise the table one turn per cut. With this new head I was going 2 turns or .100" not a lot but raised the feed rate also. I am loving it.

I think the H3D head would have worked out if I had taken a prick punch to the left of every pocket to tighten up the insert on the one side. The other side rotated also but made a good cut. Just hard to spend 4k and take a punch to it.

The h3d Head was the Hermance head if my memory is working correctly. Have you seen this planer head i think it’s made by Northfield. What’s clearly shown is the knives are facing forward like the Har dar. I wouldn’t expect it to be a contender price wise. But clearly a thing of beauty the vintage machine co Oliver also made a insert head that could be resharpened in the machine.
    Good Luck
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Aj