Thread: Blue Gum Eucalyptus

Blue Gum Eucalyptus

I’m calling this a tablet table the shelf is a perfect size for holding a device.
    Still working out some design and construction details. This one is unique enough for sharing and will be a strong pattern. Until I make one better hopefully.
    The segmented top and shelf came to pass because of the small chunks I had to work with. It all held together with a dominos.
    Its a fun and challenging piece to make.
    The finish is Rubio monocoat pure oil.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Aj

That is really beautiful. I appreciate all the details you've put into this. The wood is beautiful and you've showcased it perfectly.

Wonderful details, especially like the pattern on the lower shelf.

How did you find blue gum eucalyptus? It sure is pretty stuff. The knock on it is that is splits and curls during drying. I don't know of anybody in northern California who even tries.

Thanks for sharing Andrew. I had no idea blue gum eucalyptus was on the planet. Glad you found it and turned it in to such a beautiful piece.

G
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Buxton View Post
    How did you find blue gum eucalyptus? It sure is pretty stuff. The knock on it is that is splits and curls during drying. I don't know of anybody in northern California who even tries.
    What I was told the tree came from foothills in Alta Loma. I think the tree was damaged during a seasonal fire one year then blow over another year. This was property of a prestigious woodworker. I was gifted some of the slabs one year when I was dry begging for wood.
    You are absolutely correct about drying it. The slabs I was given were horribly cracked and twisted the lose was near 50%.
    Hard and heavy full of gum but easy to work with handtool. But brutal on machines because of the gum.
    Thanks for the comments everyone.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Aj

Very nice; and the joinery is top notch. You had to work hard to get some useable lumber from those twisted pieces.
    Chris

Very interesting wood. Very beautifully desined and presented.

Fine table and some gorgeous wood.

Blog Entries
    It is beautiful! Those chunks of wood look like they were challenging.
    Best Regards, Maurice

It sounds and looks like what we call Sydney Blue Gum, I was lucky enough to get really good boards to make a chair out of and when I wanted more the wood available was simply unusable due to cracking. be aware it is a very dense wood and the chair I made weighs a lot!
    Chris

Everything I like is either illegal, immoral or fattening