Thread: Foam recommendations?

Foam recommendations?

What are the latest recommendations on foam material to run test cuts with?

I see misc foam listed but some of it is pretty expensive.

Projects would be from simulating an overall shape (curves, etc), to drawer insert cutouts for tools.

Recommendations?

I get excellent results from the pink rigid foam insulation at the big box store. It's gone way up in price in the past year (what hasn't?), but 24 x 96" sheets go a long way. I slow the speed on my router down and increase the feed rate and get very smooth results.
    I'm attaching a sample for fun.

comedy and tragedy.jpg
    Grant
    Ottawa ON

Quote Originally Posted by Grant Wilkinson View Post
    I get excellent results from the pink rigid foam insulation at the big box store. It's gone way up in price in the past year (what hasn't?), but 24 x 96" sheets go a long way. I slow the speed on my router down and increase the feed rate and get very smooth results.

comedy and tragedy.jpg
    Thanks for confirming, that is pretty decent finish...!

that looks great

The most readily available source is that pink foam available from the 'borg. It's not amazing stuff, but ok for prototyping. It will not replace "real wood" or something more expensive like HDU if you are trying to examine significant detail because the "grain structure" of the pink foam is relatively coarse. Try to get some scrap HDU from a sign shop for serious prototyping if you can...it's amazing stuff. In fact, if your project is intended to be painted, especially for outdoor use, it's a better material to use than wood.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Grant Wilkinson View Post

comedy and tragedy.jpg
    That's actually a pretty great finish Grant. What stepover and tool did you use for finishing?

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Burnside View Post
    That's actually a pretty great finish Grant. What stepover and tool did you use for finishing?
    Sorry for the delay in replying, Michael.

I used an 1/8" ball nose with a 9% stepover.

I use foam quite a bit for prototypes. It's relatively inexpensive and easy on bits.
    Grant
    Ottawa ON