Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Questions re. specs for a Cajun Bass drum

Blog Entries
    Here is our thrift store mini kit. It was a little kid size toy set. I wrapped the shells with Ash veneer and added the vintage redwood small toms + the homemade big tom. I have one more medium tom waiting (and waiting...) to go on the lathe.

Screen Shot 2023-12-18 at 8.54.17 AM.jpg
    Best Regards, Maurice

Looks good. Here's a pic of my kit. Floor tom & bass made from purchased hardware & shells. Snare a used Gretch, Mounted tom a used Pearl. High hat used 14" Meinl. And finally the ride a 20" used Zildjian I. Drums 1.jpg

Blog Entries
    Yay! That looks great and will be fun! I am going to get ours up out of the basement and near a window for a while. It is time for the once a year drumstick turning, for stocking stuffers. Our drummer boy likes Vic Firth 5A's. I copied them in Black Locust last Christmas. I have Red Elm to try this year.
    Best Regards, Maurice

I use Vic Firth American Custom SD1 General's on the practice pad (round tip, thick & heavy). I like them for playing but hate the way thay make the ride cymbal sound. I like the Vic Firth Freestyle 5A's for playing. I had an idea looking at some chair back spindles. I'm thinking about turning a stick with a small ring just ahead of the lead finger and an egg where the palm is. It would make the tip lighter and keep the stick from slipping - I hold sticks too loose. Right now I use O-rings so I can feel and keep them in the position I want.

Tried to post yesterday but it got lost. I also like Firth 5A's. Especially the Freestyle model. I have some Firth American Custom SD1's (heavy & short taper, round tip) that I use for the practice pad. I'd love them on the set but hate the sound they make on the ride.

I had a strange idea looking at some spindles on the back of a chair. I'm going to make a pair with a small ring just in front of where the index finger rests and an ?egg shape/oval? swelling under the palm. I think it might give more bounce to the tip and keep the stick in place. I hold them (too) loose. Right now I use several O-rings between the index and next finger so I can keep the stick from slipping. Not sure I want to use some of my exotic wood till I make some and see how they work & feel.