Thread: Sand/ Pellet/shot blasting cabinet

Sand/ Pellet/shot blasting cabinet

I'm thinking of getting a sand (Shot/pellet) blasting cabinet.
    I do small metalworking projects and sometimes need to clean things up.
    "Things" are usually smaller than the proverbial Breadbox, but they are typically a lot smaller... could easily fit in the "breadbox" with room to spare.

1) Absolutely not interested in a gun used with a compressor.
    2) I know this probably belongs in the metalworking forum, but as someone noted: that forum is moribund (no surprise... the aim of the SMC forum is woodworking, not metalworking)
    I thought I might get more responses here.

Anyone have one? Used one? any recommendations or advice?

Thanks -patty
    "What you see and what you hear depends a great deal on where you are standing.
    It also depends on what sort of person you are.”

Patty, I used to have a Craftsman setup with a container and gun that was used outside so I think that's what you're talking about. My brother has a large cabinet model that I use once in a while. The cabinet models are nice because everything is enclosed and you don't need to wear any PPE. There are 2 rubber gloves that go inside the cabinet and, of course, there is a gun inside that you use. They come in all different sizes and one like this might be well suited for you.
    https://www.harborfreight.com/bencht...net-62454.html

Quote Originally Posted by John Ziebron View Post
    Patty, I used to have a Craftsman setup with a container and gun that was used outside so I think that's what you're talking about. My brother has a large cabinet model that I use once in a while. The cabinet models are nice because everything is enclosed and you don't need to wear any PPE. There are 2 rubber gloves that go inside the cabinet and, of course, there is a gun inside that you use. They come in all different sizes and one like this might be well suited for you.
    https://www.harborfreight.com/bencht...net-62454.html
    Thank you John....
    The reason for not wanting the gun... several people have said it makes a mess, even outside. Even tho' a I live in the land of dust storm mess (lol see video below...first few minutes) I prefer not to be in it.
    After posting I did a more detailed search. Jewellery makers use them... some are benchtop models.
    I'd like to find one that I can use with my current compressor (120 psi and 4 CFM ... not very powerful, I know)

We have an older TIP blast cabinet that has worked very well over the years. We've managed to stick everything from a Motorcycle Rim to tiny little machined parts in it. It does require quite of bit of air volume to operate well though. (Think 5 HP, 2 stage Compressor, though a 1 stage did manage when that's what was available to us)

Quote Originally Posted by Lisa Starr View Post
    We have an older TIP blast cabinet that has worked very well over the years. We've managed to stick everything from a Motorcycle Rim to tiny little machined parts in it. It does require quite of bit of air volume to operate well though. (Think 5 HP, 2 stage Compressor, though a 1 stage did manage when that's what was available to us)
    Thank you Lisa... I may try my 120psi 4CFM compressor on whatever small cabinet I get... it might work OK for my needs.

Harbor freight sells a small one. Lots of YouTube videos about mods to them. I have no experience with those, but it looks like they get the job done.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom M King View Post
    Harbor freight sells a small one. Lots of YouTube videos about mods to them. I have no experience with those, but it looks like they get the job done.
    I have one of these modded. It is great for the money but is compressor driven. and needs a lot of dry air. I through this together the other day to dry the air20231108_160422.jpg

If you stop every 20 minutes and open the valves you can blow out a significant amount of water. Beats buying a chiller

Quote Originally Posted by Patty Hann View Post
    I'm thinking of getting a sand (Shot/pellet) blasting cabinet.
    I do small metalworking projects and sometimes need to clean things up.
    "Things" are usually smaller than the proverbial Breadbox, but they are typically a lot smaller... could easily fit in the "breadbox" with room to spare.

1) Absolutely not interested in a gun used with a compressor.
    2) I know this probably belongs in the metalworking forum, but as someone noted: that forum is moribund (no surprise... the aim of the SMC forum is woodworking, not metalworking)
    I thought I might get more responses here.

Anyone have one? Used one? any recommendations or advice?

Thanks -patty
    https://www.amazon.com/Rdutuok-Press...ps%2C80&sr=8-3

This may be an option. but its wet

Quote Originally Posted by George Yetka View Post
    It's also not contained.... I'm looking for a cabinet version.

Only thing with no air is a wheelabrator type. Very expensive, fairly loud. I would just use an air powered sand blaster. Probably cheaper to upgrade to a 5hp compressor then to get a spin blaster.
    Would a tumbler work for you?
    Bill D

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    Only thing with no air is a wheelabrator type. Very expensive, fairly loud. I would just use an air powered sand blaster. Probably cheaper to upgrade to a 5hp compressor then to get a spin blaster.
    Would a tumbler work for you?
    Bill D
    It might.... parts are pretty small .... I'll have to look into that....

The company I use to work for had one tat you could easily place a large microwave inside it (to give you an idea on it's size. It had a foot operated valve to start and stop the grit. It had a light inside so you could see what you were doing. But what it didn't have was an air filter to control the dust inside. We dealt with painted parts with a little rust. After 5 or so minutes the dust inside would get too bad to see. It also would coat the inside of the window. I think they are a case of you get what you pay for. As for compressor, they have a 15hp compressor so air wasn't a problem.

I think with a small compressor it'll run non stop. That causes wear and tear on the compressor. Some of the smaller ones just aren't made to run at high duty cycles.

Vibratory tumbler not the rotary rock polishing kind. The media has more choices then blasting.
    Bill D.

Ideally you need a vac system to manage dust inside cabinet for visibilty and creating a negative pressure to keep dust from escaping.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    Vibratory tumbler not the rotary rock polishing kind. The media has more choices then blasting.
    Bill D.
    I've decided on the vibratory tumbler. Thanks Bill.