Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HAPPY 248th BIRTHDAY MARINES

HAPPY 248th BIRTHDAY MARINES

To all my fellow Marines and Hospital Corpsmen (Marines with different stripes) have a great 248th birthday celebration. It doesn't matter whether you are active, retired, or a veteran, you are now and always will be a Marine.

Semper Fi

Dave Anderson NH
    Cpl B 1/7 1968
    1st Combined Action Group 1969
    Dave Anderson

Chester, NH

Don’t forget to leave out some whiskey and MRE’s for Chesty tonight.
    My three favorite things are the Oxford comma, irony and missed opportunities

The problem with humanity is: we have paleolithic emotions; medieval institutions; and God-like technology. Edward O. Wilson

Happy Birthday to the USMC!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

A Happy Birthday to the Corps!

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Anderson NH View Post
    To all my fellow Marines and Hospital Corpsmen (Marines with different stripes) have a great 248th birthday celebration. It doesn't matter whether you are active, retired, or a veteran, you are now and always will be a Marine.

Semper Fi

Dave Anderson NH
    Cpl B 1/7 1968
    1st Combined Action Group 1969
    Semper Fi, man.

“you are now and always will be a Marine”

Explain to me how identifying oneself as a “Marine” forever makes this a better world.

Quote Originally Posted by Bernie Kopfer View Post

Explain to me how identifying oneself as a “Marine” forever makes this a better world.
    I don't think it's required to make this a better world to identify yourself as a "Marine" or, for example, as an "Electrical Engineer", as I am. I went through a rigorous four year educational experience to become an "Electrical Engineer", and I'm proud to identify myself as such.

The people who became "Marines" went through a different rigorous experience which cannot be fully understood by those who didn't, and I expect they are proud to have completed it and can now identiry theyselves as "Marines".

My hat's off to them.

Mike

[And just a side note, I have no respect for "stolen valor" - people who claim to have served in certain military organizations or to have been awarded certain awards for bravery.]

[And just a second side note: Dave is not just a "Marine" but a "Marine combat veteran of Vietnam". That title comes at a high price.]
    Last edited by Mike Henderson; 11-11-2023 at 12:53 PM.
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Hi Bernie, Neither I nor anyone else (Marine or not) needs or is impelled to identify ourselves as anything that makes the world better. How we identify is a personal choice. In an answer which immediately comes to mind, Marines help eliminate Naziism, Fascism, and helped to control the spread of Communism. I submit that each of these helped to make our world a better place.
    Dave Anderson

Chester, NH

As Dave is a combat experienced Marine who fought, and lost friends, fellow Marines in Vietnam, he deserves better than being called out by someone. Marines and veterans of all branches of the US military have helped make the world a better place.
    Last edited by Ken Fitzgerald; 11-12-2023 at 2:08 PM.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Monument in France commemorating The Battle of Belleau Wood...the only foreign monument erected solely to honor US Marines
    Read about it Battle of Belleau Wood

"What you see and what you hear depends a great deal on where you are standing.
    It also depends on what sort of person you are.”

Monument To The Marine Brigade. ( official name)

Kind of a long story so I won’t get into the details. I surprisingly found a complete Marine dress blue uniform in the attic of a newly purchased home. The name tag was unrelated to any previous owners. After months of trying, the owner was eventually located and the uniform returned. He, but especially his mother who had lost track of it while it was in her safekeeping, were pretty happy.
    Last edited by Michael Weber; 11-12-2023 at 12:43 PM.
    My three favorite things are the Oxford comma, irony and missed opportunities

The problem with humanity is: we have paleolithic emotions; medieval institutions; and God-like technology. Edward O. Wilson

Good work, Michael. I’m thinking his Mom hid the uniform . “Moms are like that ,yeah they are” ( old Tv commercial) .
    She probably tore up a few “ Greetings “ envelopes too !

Semper Fi.

Quote Originally Posted by Bernie Kopfer View Post

The same way you identifying yourself as a dentist forever makes this a better world...