Thread: Freehand chainsaw milling, anyone seen this utoober?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Freehand chainsaw milling, anyone seen this utoober?

First off, not sure if this video might be mentioned here already, and apologies if so,
    as I normally go to the other forums when I visit here, but IIRC, this Sawmills and Kiln Drying section was only added not so long ago.

I couldn't find this video again until recently, as there's many videos of a similar theme, but not quite the same thing,
    though to be honest, I normally end up watching sawmills instead, or if involving chainsaws, normally Bucking Billy Ray as he's entertaining
    and really tries to share all his knowledge.

So...I clicked on this guy Advoko's video, and it was an enjoyable wee story of his journey of experimentation, comparing the usual Alaskan mill chainsaw
    bar guide vs freehand.
    He mentioned how much easier it were on the saw, which uses much less fuel, and that his more powerful saw on the bar, ended up failing on him as it was hard going.

He mentions a method of holding the timber at the ends, what looks like it might be improved upon, if one wished,
    and swinging the saw letting gravity do the work, (I'll be looking at a few more of his vids to get a better impression on the start of the cut)
    whilst specifically going into detail of only letting three teeth do the work, at the end of the bar, IIRC.
    Though as mentioned, I need get a better impression of how he starts the cut, as most accidents involving peoples HEADS
    are caused by the end of the saw, anything from the centreline up to the top of the bar is the dangerzone causing I presume what's also called a
    climb cut.

So that's worth bearing in mind, I'm sure Buckin Billy Ray has some safety tips, and since he seems a bit of a risk taker being a lumberjack and all,
    One would better keep their ears perked if he says something's dangerous, and best to get the opinion of safety from multiple sources though,
    as that's a topic in itself.

I apologise if mentioning chainsaws here isn't on topic, and the main forum being correct place to post,
    or should it be, by mentioning possibly dangerous methods of milling.
    For instance, I know that things don't fly concerning some elements of the workshop, compared to the compliant regs from the HSE.
    Not sure what the guides are really, but would lie to get some perspective of Advoko's method,
    or infact if there's an equally effective method of milling with a chainsaw.

I don't have a need for all this, whatsoever, I might add, and have plenty of reclaimed timber to last me a good while,
    and the only native or home grown species I encounter is normally sawn rounds, so could choose to go the Follansbee method
    with plenty of sweat, before easy going feeding through the bandsaw thereafter.
    Just for interests sakes really.
    But, should something crop up what's much longer than I'd dare split, heavier than I'd attempt lifting,
    or for what other reason unknown likely aplenty, what would require milling on site, then I'd like to know some folks thoughts on the video....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8qz64ELkxdA

Alas I see this video is not very new, and indeed he has some more thoughts or rigs on the subject, which I must watch,
    so I suppose I'll have to get back to this post, and perhaps wish to ask about something specific,
    but should someone keep up to date on his stuff, and have some opinion of something or other, and/or other suggestions
    then I'm all ears.

Old computer near crashed getting the video, so I'll post a screenshot of the video for someone.
    Screenshot-2023-11-8 Two Chainsaw Secrets Turning a Tree into Perfect Boards - YouTube.jpg

All the best
    Tom
    Last edited by Tom Trees; 11-10-2023 at 12:19 PM.