Thread: Your Recommendations for a Durable Bandsaw Blade

Your Recommendations for a Durable Bandsaw Blade

Hello, Everyone. I don't cut wood but metals and industrial plastics (Delrin, Ultem, PEEK). I am seeking a durable, long-lasting bandsaw blade. I am using a basic 9-inch Wen two-wheel machine rigfht now, with hopes for a bigger, more powerful machine down the road. However, my resources must go to more important machinery over the next year or two.

With all that, what kind of bandsaw blades would you recommend, some that are long-lasting and durable. I'm needing 18- or 24 TPI blades, although 12 TPI might work as well.

If you think of a brand or model that fits my needs, would you be so kind as to paste a link in your response?

Thank You,
    Scott
    Last edited by Scott Memmer; 11-11-2023 at 5:52 PM.

I'm pretty sure that Lenox has what you need, probably a bi-metal type band.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

A 9" Wen will not have the power or correct speed to cut metal.

I am with Jim in that I tend to gravitate towards Lenox for metal cutting blades (especially hack saw and hole saw blades). Paying extra for the blade will allow you to get more out of your machine limitations.

Lenox def makes the best bandsaw blades for that purpose. I use Bi-Metal blades for all bandsaw purposes including wood. I've tried every other type of blade out there, including carbide, still keep coming back to Lenox Bi-Metal blades.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Coers View Post
    A 9" Wen will not have the power or correct speed to cut metal.
    Richard, agreed. However, as my OP stated, I'm cutting almost 100% industrial plastics, not metal. However, high-end engineering plastics like PEEK were designed to replace metals. Therefore, they cut like metals and need a metal-cutting blade. Low TPI blades that work perfectly on wood are too aggressive when cutting the plastics I fabricate.

Thank You for your post.

Scott

Jim, Carl & Tony: Sounds like a winner. Thanks for your posts.

Scott

Any 9" saw will bend the blades more and cause the blades to break sooner.
    Bill D

Hi, Peeps, I'm bumping this thread.

I usually buy off Amazon, and I'm having trouble finding a Lenox blade to fit my little WEN 9-inch wheel machine. I'm placing a link below from another site. Is it possible Amazon would carry this and I'm just having trouble finding it?

Thank You,
    Scott

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Memmer View Post
    Richard, agreed. However, as my OP stated, I'm cutting almost 100% industrial plastics, not metal. However, high-end engineering plastics like PEEK were designed to replace metals. Therefore, they cut like metals and need a metal-cutting blade. Low TPI blades that work perfectly on wood are too aggressive when cutting the plastics I fabricate.

Thank You for your post.

Scott
    Your original post did say metal. I've never seen plastic that cuts like steel. "I don't cut wood but metals and industrial plastics"

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Coers View Post
    Your original post did say metal. I've never seen plastic that cuts like steel. "I don't cut wood but metals and industrial plastics"
    True, Richard, but you've likely never heard of this material. It's called DuPont Vespel and is the most expensive plastic in the world. Pricing? For a sheet 10" x 10" x 1/4" = $1350.00. It was created specifically to replace metal parts in aircraft, and is used extensively by Boeing, Lockheed, Northrup, etc. I believe it is less detectable by radar, so is probably used a lot in stealth aircraft. AND it cuts like metal.

https://www.dupont.com/vespel.html

Vespel was introduced in 1965. In the ensuing decades, every major petro-chemical company in the world has come in with their knock-off version of this polymer. These materials also cut like metals and go by trade names such as PEEK, PAEK, Torlon, Ketone, and many many others.

sm
    Last edited by Scott Memmer; 12-13-2023 at 1:23 AM.

Get it custom made. I buy from this place:
    https://www.bandsawbladecenter.com/Diemaster2.html
    I've seen people recommend:
    http://www.spectrumsupply.com/diemaster2.aspx