Thread: Varnish pressure treated wood

Varnish pressure treated wood

I am making a mobile base for my planer using 6x6 pressure treated wood. Was not willing to pay extra for redwood. I would like to use BLO and varnish as a finish coat. Light sanding to remove the worst of the roughness. Do you think it will work or will bubbles form at all the piercings?
    I am just looking for a semi good look in a shop. Make it look more like wood and less like an alligator. Easier to sweep off dust etc. I will not be filling in all the injection pores.
    Bill D

Blog Entries
    Once the pressure treated wood has thoroughly dried, you should be able to apply just about any finish to it. The problem is that it will take a very long time for your 6 x 6 to dry.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Let it dry at least some. In my opinion only, I think painting it would look best for the workshop. Maybe a gray.

Just curious...Why does the base for your planer need to be water-resistant? Does your planer live outdoors?

What is the purpose of the BLO in your schedule? Popping the grain doesn't seem necessary, and it doesn't improve the adhesion of the varnish, does it? I'm curious not critical.
    < insert spurious quote here >

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Buxton View Post
    Just curious...Why does the base for your planer need to be water-resistant? Does your planer live outdoors?
    My guess is availability and price . I occasionally need 4X4's and have to struggle with whether or not to pay $20 for SPF or $10 for treated SYP.
    Best Regards, Maurice

Lee has the correct answer. Most pressure treated lumber is wet from the lumber yard. Years ago I built a mailbox with a treated post. It had been sitting for a long time and was good and dry. After 2 coats of primer and paint it held up for years; at least until a contractor doing work on my house backed his trailer into it and broke it good.