Thread: Need Some Finish Help

Need Some Finish Help

Got myself into a little mistake.

I applied the finish, General Finishes Armr Seal, to a project and rushed to do final assembly and applied clamp pressure to the attach the piece to the project. I have clamp marks in the finish.

How to correct the problem??

My thinking is to sand with 400 grit sand paper and apply an additional coat of poly. Sand wet or just dry sand? Will this work?

TIA for any input.
    George

Making sawdust regularly, occasionally a project is completed.

I would do as you propose. If you sand only the area that has clamp damage, then I would apply a coat just to that area first, or as many coats as needed to bring the level up even with the rest. After that has dried well, I would lightly sand the whole surface to make sure the finish is flat and then apply one last coat.

John

Blog Entries
    I'm with John. I would attempt a spot repair first. You can always do a full re-coat and will have lost nothing. Remove the damage, feather the edges into the undamaged film and add coats to as close to level as you can. If the piece can be set so that the repair area is facing up, gravity will help some with the leveling.

Once you are satisfied with this phase leave the repair to FULLY cure. Urethane resists scratching enough without trying to sand product that is not fully cured. When doing repair work I tend to start with a very fine abrasive. Not to level the surface but to expose the irregularities. The scratched or non-scratched irregularities make seeing what is going on easier for me. Once I can see what I am doing I use a more appropriate grit and work through to 800-1000 or higher depending on sheen. Good luck.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

You cannot feel any irregularity just see a round spot interupting the sheen like reaction of the poly to the rubber pad on the F-clamp.
    George

Quote Originally Posted by George Bokros View Post
    You cannot feel any irregularity just see a round spot interupting the sheen like reaction of the poly to the rubber pad on the F-clamp.

Ah, that comes from what I think are plasticizers in the rubber pads reacting with the finish. I've had that happen from people's phone cases. It may go away on its own if you are patient enough to just wait. I'm talking about weeks/months.

John

John

Thanks for the responses guys.
    George