Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How to make these

I have to confess, I don't understand how you're planning on making these. From the replies I've read, it sounds more complicated than it need be.
    Here is how I would do it.
    I would start with a block as thick as each leg is wide, see photo.
    IMG_1038 (600 x 400).jpg
    First I would cut the profile on the bandsaw. Then rip legs to width. A forstener bit would take care of the mating hinge area.

(if I had a larger block lying around, I would cut two profiles)

Trying for more precision and a better surface than a band saw delivers. Yes a Forstner bit for the ID but the OD is not so easy.

Bit just arrived. It has a 1" cutting length so I should be able to make pairs.

This post is helping me plan thru it so thanks all for the replys.

Can you post some photos of your method as you go. I'm still confused as to how you're planning on making them.
    I urge against routing a thin leg such as these but that's just my two cents.
    Not knowing what tools you have makes suggestions difficult.
    Good luck with your project.

Quote Originally Posted by Edward Weber View Post
    I have to confess, I don't understand how you're planning on making these. From the replies I've read, it sounds more complicated than it need be.
    Here is how I would do it.
    I would start with a block as thick as each leg is wide, see photo.
    IMG_1038 (600 x 400).jpg
    First I would cut the profile on the bandsaw. Then rip legs to width. A forstener bit would take care of the mating hinge area.

(if I had a larger block lying around, I would cut two profiles)
    I was thinking the same basic concept except use a thinner (less wide) block, cut out on the scroll saw, and then rip the legs to width. Won't make as many as above, but may allow for finer work.

Toast Tweezers?
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

I think you need better band saw blades. Lennox 1/8 x 14 tpi 5 tooth pattern will leave a way better finish. I love using band saws. I dislike running routers. For me, pattern routing would take the joy out of it, if it is even possible.

I googled "toast tongs". Several hundred offerings averaging $.99 each.

I can't tell how big that inner radius is, but I'd think a robo-sander would be a safer way to do this than a router table for the long, thin parts: http://www.luthiersfriend.com/robosa...obosander.html

That won't work for the tiny indents, but it might get you there for most of the outer profile.

Blog Entries
    I was introduced to the Robo Sander at the mandolin factory. The Robo Sander can do things that a router can not, slowly and at the expense of lots of abrasive. This is a tough production problem. This thread has me thinking about stories I have heard about the guy who makes the Monkey Pipe with CNC. (the pipe is not my thing but his use of CNC is intriguing).
    Best Regards, Maurice