Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Anthem plan D premium for 2024 is going up 62%

Anthem plan D premium for 2024 is going up 62%

Anyone else seeing this from their providers? World has officially gone crazy.

Never switched providers while in medicare, can we do that without losing coverage? I assume I can as long as I make sure new coverage starts before I cancel existing coverage. Can I do this without worrying about preexisting conditions?

Thanks.

Brian
    Brian

It's open enrollment right now and I do believe you can make changes with no issues. And for Plan D, it makes sense that change might be needed from time to time as the medication regimen changes over time. One of the factors when I was choosing my Advantage plan (my preference) was ensuring the prescription coverage was inline with my medications...easy now because what I need is pretty simple and basic, but who knows what the future offers?

The official Medicare site has some pretty good resources for comparing coverages for both "traditional" Medicare supplemental coverage as well as for Advantage plans offered in our individual geography. (insurance is regulated by state)
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Prescription costs are going crazy right now. A good part of it is weight loss drugs that are very expensive. A number of private companies have stated they will stop covering weight loss drugs with their company insurance plans due to the high cost.

Medicare online will show you all the coverage in your area and at what cost. In addition you can enter all the drugs you currently take and it will provide a total cost for each plan. As good as the website is I have a real issue with the D plans in that they need to be simplified and regulated as the Medicare supplemental plans are.
    My three favorite things are the Oxford comma, irony and missed opportunities

The problem with humanity is: we have paleolithic emotions; medieval institutions; and God-like technology. Edward O. Wilson

Our Plan D coverage (through Blue Cross) increased by about 5% this year, less than I would have thought. Shop around.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Elfert View Post
    Prescription costs are going crazy right now. A good part of it is weight loss drugs that are very expensive. A number of private companies have stated they will stop covering weight loss drugs with their company insurance plans due to the high cost.
    I hope so, that and boner pills! I blame Bob Dole. Brian
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by roger wiegand View Post
    Our Plan D coverage (through Blue Cross) increased by about 5% this year, less than I would have thought. Shop around.
    In Indiana Anthem and blue cross are the same. Brian
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Runau View Post
    I hope so, that and boner pills! I blame Bob Dole. Brian
    It is almost certainly cheaper long term to pay for weight loss drugs rather than pay for major health issues caused by morbid obesity. There are other things like sleep apnea that insurers would rather pay to treat instead of paying for other health problems caused by untreated sleep apnea.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Elfert View Post
    It is almost certainly cheaper long term to pay for weight loss drugs rather than pay for major health issues caused by morbid obesity. There are other things like sleep apnea that insurers would rather pay to treat instead of paying for other health problems caused by untreated sleep apnea.
    I'd guess the payoff is much further in the future. My sleep apnea machine was about $500 5 years ago. Currently most of the weight loss drugs are coming in at around $1K/month, and that's money the insurers need to spend today, not in a decade or two as the problems with obesity effect their customers. I'm also expecting a lot of these drugs to drop dramatically in price, I'd guess the insurance companies are as well.

I haven't personally seen a change in my insurance, but it's via my employer who might be having a different experience. I'd guess a lot of this is tied to the costs of the COVID epidemic and all the hospitalizations and other costs.

I have sleep apnea and was having problems tolerating a CPAP. My sleep doctor recommended a dental appliance. He gave me some names of dentists. One highly recommended one charged over $4,000 to do the impressions and make the dental appliance. I was shocked my insurance approved that much. The sleep doctor said it is cheaper than future medical problems for the insurer.

My employer said that the company's medical costs increased almost 10% this past year.
    Last edited by Brian Elfert; 11-13-2023 at 3:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Runau View Post
    Anyone else seeing this from their providers? World has officially gone crazy.

Never switched providers while in medicare, can we do that without losing coverage? I assume I can as long as I make sure new coverage starts before I cancel existing coverage. Can I do this without worrying about preexisting conditions?

Thanks.Brian
    As long as you stay within your Medigap Supplement "letter" it's not a problem.
    If you are in Plan G (I use Aetna in Plan N) and you want to switch providers within that "letter" (another Ins co in G) there is no need for new underwriting.
    It's switching between the "Letters" that triggers new underwriting.

Forgot to mention...about 7 states prohibit new underwriting, meaning you can switch "letters" without consideration of pre-existing conditions.
    I forget which states but you should be able to Google for that info. (And I know AZ is NOT one of them ).

My Plan D went from about $9/month to $14/month.
    I am blessed in that I have never needed "maintenance drugs"so my per month Plan D cost was always low.
    And I've always used GoodRx for the few times I needed a prescription filled if it wasn't a free drug through Medicare.
    GoodRx is godsend.
    Because of this situation my Medicare broker guy moved me to a Zero$/month premium.
    Last edited by Patty Hann; 11-13-2023 at 7:06 PM.
    "What you see and what you hear depends a great deal on where you are standing.
    It also depends on what sort of person you are.”

Quote Originally Posted by Patty Hann View Post
    As long as you stay within your Medigap Supplement "letter" it's not a problem.
    If you are in Plan G (I use Aetna in Plan N) and you want to switch providers within that "letter" (another Ins co in G) there is no need for new underwriting.
    It's switching between the "Letters" that triggers
    Thanks Patty. Brian
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 11-14-2023 at 9:42 AM. Reason: fixed quote tagging
    Brian

Brian, are you talking about medicare *Part D* (drug coverage) or a Medigap (Medicare supplemental) plan type D?

Your drug coverage can be changed each year during the Annual election period. Many folks change their Part D plan frequently as their drug needs change or plans become too expensive. The medicare web site has excellent tools for identifying which plans are available in your area and what the costs are for the drugs you require.

Changing Medigap plans can be done during the 6 month open enrollment period when you first become eligible for Medicare (usually age 65), or if you live in one of the 6 or 7 states that allows it each year. Otherwise, you may not be able to change plans. Here is a good article that covers this in detail: https://www.senior65.com/medicare/ar...-medigap-plans

Patty, do you have a reference for the "ok to change between medigap plans of the same 'letter'"? I don't find any such rule on the Medicare site....
    --I had my patience tested. I'm negative--

Quote Originally Posted by Paul F Franklin View Post
    Brian, are you talking about medicare *Part D* (drug coverage) or a Medigap (Medicare supplemental) plan type D?

Your drug coverage can be changed each year during the Annual election period. Many folks change their Part D plan frequently as their drug needs change or plans become too expensive. The medicare web site has excellent tools for identifying which plans are available in your area and what the costs are for the drugs you require.

Changing Medigap plans can be done during the 6 month open enrollment period when you first become eligible for Medicare (usually age 65), or if you live in one of the 6 or 7 states that allows it each year. Otherwise, you may not be able to change plans. Here is a good article that covers this in detail: https://www.senior65.com/medicare/ar...-medigap-plans

Patty, do you have a reference for the "ok to change between medigap plans of the same 'letter'"? I don't find any such rule on the Medicare site....
    Only what my broker said .
    I said something about changing companies and the underwriting and he said., "Not if you stay with Plan N.... no new underwriting."
    But I will double check on that and try to find an "official statement" .

Also, the answer he gave me may only apply to AZ ( I forgot about that part, that each state has its own Insurance regulations)
    Last edited by Patty Hann; 11-13-2023 at 11:12 PM.
    "What you see and what you hear depends a great deal on where you are standing.
    It also depends on what sort of person you are.”

Go in to a broker with a list of your medications and a list of plans your doctors will accept. Let them figure it out for you, at no cost to you.
    Bill D