Thread: Sawbuck

Sawbuck

I'm planning on building a new sawbuck for processing firewood and turning blanks.
    I tried the search function with no success.

Do any of you have photos of your setup you could share?
    Thanks for any input.

Blog Entries
    My father in law's design is similar to the one Jim Koepke showed a while back but his have 3 X shape legs with 2 of the X close together at one end. The stretchers are low and the work area is clear of any horizontal members.
    Sawbuck Plans

Screen Shot 2023-11-14 at 11.03.40 AM.jpg
    From google images
    Screen Shot 2023-11-14 at 11.11.44 AM.jpg
    Last edited by Maurice Mcmurry; 11-14-2023 at 12:59 PM. Reason: correct the spell corrector
    Best Regards, Maurice

Thanks Maurice
    I've been looking around the inter-web and found, what looks to be, the basis for what I might build.
    80ff983f2a774ed4be379ef4faff4ae1.jpg
    If I modify this design slightly, I can have a flat area on one end for prepping turning blanks.
    I'm still entertaining ideas

The ones Maurice showed are the same as mine. I have a chain on one side I can use (or not) if I need to hold an awkward piece (which mesquite has a habit of).
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut

Thanks a lot Mike, I like the chain idea

Mine is very much like what Maurice showed, but with X's spaced firewood length apart. The keeps the pieces from being cut supported until all the cuts have been made. It's also long enough to hold the 10 foot long offcuts from my sawmill. Look over at the right edge of theo photo.

John

I use one of these more than a sawbuck

https://www.amleo.com/peavey-mfg-tim...RoCGwsQAvD_BwE

Quote Originally Posted by Tom M King View Post
    I use one of these more than a sawbuck

https://www.amleo.com/peavey-mfg-tim...RoCGwsQAvD_BwE
    Yep, those are really handy and save the back.
    That's one reason why ultimately I went for the flat top design I showed.
    Large stuff (12" +) can stay low to the ground and I'll just use a timberjack. Smaller stuff can get done on the sawbuck. The flat area gives me a "table" area to round off the corners and otherwise trim large turning blanks.
    IMG_1033.jpgIMG_1035.jpg
    I'll get the chain on when it stops raining.
    I'm thinking about some type of drop in stop to keep blanks from walking too far. It should keep me out of trouble for a little while anyway.
    Thanks for all the input guys

Blog Entries
    My father in laws 3 X version folded flat for storage. He did a lot of urban foraging to find firewood. He would cut up scrap wood he found with an antique bow saw. I thought I would help out one day with my skill saw. I cut up a big pile of found construction scraps and pallets... AND his sawbuck which was folded flat and looked like junk.
    Best Regards, Maurice

More than any other method, if I'm cutting short pieces like firewood, I'll pick the log up to a comfortable height with lifting tongs on the loader bucket leaving one end of the log on the ground to stabilize it while I cut chunks off the other end.

Quote Originally Posted by Maurice Mcmurry View Post
    My father in laws 3 X version folded flat for storage. He did a lot of urban foraging to find firewood. He would cut up scrap wood he found with an antique bow saw. I thought I would help out one day with my skill saw. I cut up a big pile of found construction scraps and pallets... AND his sawbuck which was folded flat and looked like junk.
    Well that's a big ooops

Most of the stuff I need to cut is large sections like the ones in the background, I pick them up with my tractor. Some smaller logs and branches, not too much. I also have a large chunk/section I use as a base for splitting and de-barking. Redwood bark is quite thick and usually peels off but sometimes needs some encouragement coming off before it goes to the chipper.